GO!

Black Poop!!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 4:20pm PST 
Today Captain was neutered (money I didn't have to begin with), my car broke down on the way home from picking him up, and now Mama has black poop. I noticed her eating lots of odd things this past week and am hoping she did not cause some internal damage. I'm freaking out.... my car insurance is due in 3 days and I don't even know if I can pay it.

How serious is black poop and what all could it mean? I will call the vet tomorrow but my goodness..... I can't even drive my car and I don't know how I'm going to pay for her vet visit. What kind of tests might they do?

Thanks all. frown hug
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 6:57pm PST 
I don't know much on this subject, but I've read that black poop meant that there was blood in the stool.shrug
[notify]
Pippin CGC

King- Dingleberry!

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 7:02pm PST 
Black poop can very well mean blood in the stool...Bad news!eek
[notify]

Allie - RIP

Mom thinks I'm- just BEAUTIFUL - am I?

Barked: Thu Oct 15, '09 7:49pm PST 
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think poop often turns black, or at least much, much darker, after it has been lying around for a while outside, so Mama may be okay....
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Fri Oct 16, '09 5:14am PST 
First how is Mama behaving, is she sleepy and sad or is she her normal self? Is she eating and drinking? Yes poop does go darker when it has been outside for a bit. Yes black poop can mean there is blood in it, but is usually black and tarry, sticky poop. We need to know how Mama is before we make assumptions and you have to find a way to get to the vet if she is poorly.dog
[notify]
Niko - RIP- 1992-2009

the BEST

Barked: Fri Oct 16, '09 5:49am PST 
black poop is usually digested blood. call your vet. likely a few days of metronidazole (flagyl) will clear it up - but they may want to see her to rule out something more serious than some bowl irritation.
[notify]
Clementine

Barked: Fri Oct 16, '09 6:06am PST 
I agree, black stools is something that needs to be checked out thoroughly by your vet. Also, please check the color of Mama's gums (healthy pink is good; not-so-pink or white requires immediate vet care). I hope everything checks out fine and Mama is okay.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Fri Oct 16, '09 9:02pm PST 
I posted about this the other day about Brodie. He has dark, nearly black poop last weekend for a couple days. Now it's back to normal..I called the vet this week just to let him know about it and he said if he's acting normal just keep an eye on it and let him know if it happens again.
He got into some old grease underneath our grill but that's the only thing I could think of bc he just gets doggie food.
[notify]
Winnie Lam

Squeaker- Killer...Qu'est-- ce que c'est!

Barked: Sat Oct 17, '09 8:01am PST 
Yes, as other dogsters posted. Black poop can be melena, or digested blood, which can mean upper gastrointestinal bleeding. But did she get any Pepto Bismol? Because Pepto Bismol can also discolor your poop black...
[notify]
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sat Oct 17, '09 8:21am PST 
Thanks for all the help. Mama is doing fine otherwise and we ended up taking her to the vet yesterday just to be safe. The vet checked her out, did a fecal and said she looked to be perfectly healthy. I'm still going to keep a close eye on her. This morning in Florida the weather is GREAT and Mama was outside running around and enjoying herself. smile I did see the poop as it was coming out, so I know it came out black. It was jet black and chalky.... so I don't know what could cause that, but the vet said she looks great.

I guess I'll just have to wait it out?? THANK YOU! wink
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2