GO!

DRY PAW PADS-What do you do?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 6:10am PST 
Ok well Daisy has dry some even are callused. Well they bug her as she is always licking them. I started to use vitamen E tablets on them. Called my vet as I was worried it would harm her. He said its fine but not to use it very often. So I bought this stuff called Invisible boot 100% natural. Protects and moisturizes. I have to walk her with boots on even when sidewalk is obviously not hot because her pads start to get better then I walk her and back to square one. So its got to be something with pavement that bugs them. So I will be the weirdo walking dog with shoes on even in the summer bol! So I use the invisible boot wax stuff 2-3 times a day and once a week I put the vitamen E on her then put her boots on for bed time to really let them soak. They start to look better but they never really get to the point where they are velvety soft like Boston's my other dog. What do you do or would you do. Is there something that would work better?
[notify]
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 2:06pm PST 
My dogs paws aren't soft, but we do a lot of outdoor stuff, so like humans, I expect them to get callused. I have used heavy moisturizer on their pads before, and it sounds like you're already doing that with the vitamin E oil. Are they so dry they're cracking or just rough? Rough I wouldn't worry about, but if they're cracking then I'd keep up with the moisturizer until they feel a bit better. What about using shea butter? That might feel more soothing.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 3:41pm PST 
When Lily ruined her paw pads running for three days when she was lost, I used human BlueGoo cracked heel ointment from WalMart. I couldn't get any paw wax locally. BlueGoo has emu oil for healing, plus beeswax and other natural ingredients. It did a nice job abd didn't get on the carpets. It was $1 well spent. Bag Balm is another possibility.
[notify]

Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 4:40pm PST 
Ok awesome. Well they when she was licking and biting them they were I think borderline going to crack. But since putting the wax and oil on they are just rough. But she is not licking anymore as long as I keep the wax stuff up. As soon as I stop they get worse again. (we go on alot of long walks and runs usually regardless of weather) But they seem to be getting alot better when I walk her with the boots. The worse ones are now just callused. Thats what I was worried about. But if you said thats normal for a active dog? Bostons are so soft but I guess not all dogs are the same eh?
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 4:44pm PST 
It's okay, we're the crazy people that walks Lantis in shoes in all seasons, too. silenced
[notify]
Chip

Don't mess with- my kin!

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 4:59pm PST 
I'm going to say Udderly smooth udder cream. It's greasless & stainless, a protective coating. here is the web site: www.uddercream.com (The farmers use this on their cows udders & teats. Smooth pawing my furiend! Hugs, Mwah.. The Chipster
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 5:30pm PST 
Yeah or bag balm is supposed to be good.
I have used Protecta-pad in the past on a chinchilla I had. It's paws would bleed from standing all the time and this stuff worked like a charm and can be used on doggies!
U have to order it though. It used to be around 6.00.
[notify]
Alle

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 8:22pm PST 
My mommy uses Elizabeth Arden Eight-Hour Cream on my pads almost every night; it is great for scrapes, burns, cuts and dry skin. Even though it is for humans, I practically beg her for it.
[notify]
Ginger- M.I.A.

my first and- finest

Barked: Sun Oct 11, '09 8:59pm PST 
at the kennel where I got Ginger from, when the sled dogs' paws got sore from running on icy snow (the worst kind is when it partially melts and then re-freezes) they would rub them with vaseline and then put booties on to protect it. I think vaseline works as well as more expensive moisturizers because it seals in natural moisture (sweat and oils) from the feet, plus it's safe if the dog licks it off. A lot of mushers think dogs with pink pads get sore feet quicker than dogs with black pads, I don't know really.
Dogsled trails are usually littered with booties that the dogs loose, especially after a race and lots of teams have gone through. The pros probably go through hundreds of booties per season!
[notify]
Daisy

Mommy's little- princess

Barked: Mon Oct 12, '09 5:39am PST 
You know what Ginger that does make sense because Daisy's worst ones are the pink ones. Her black pads were dry but are for the most part better her pink pads are not wanting to get better. Boston has pretty much all black pads and he has no issues and he walks with us and Daisy in the same places. I read about the vaseline but was worried about it harming them. Thanks everyone theres lots of things I can now try and look into. way to go Better advice then the vet. He had no advice at all really. confused Ive actually seen dog sled competition briefly on tv and I saw the dogs with booties. I thought that was so cute. But they go through some tough stuff so booties are very useful. Im finding that out now.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2