GO!

Dew claw separated from quick.. will it fall off??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Beowulf

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 7:56pm PST 
My dog Beowulf has injured her dew claw, but it has not come right off. It is still attached, but separated from the quick. I have been bathing it and keeping her head cone on so she wont lick it. It's quite sore. Will the nail fall off by itself, now that it has become separated from the quick?? Please help.
[notify]
Peter Parker

It's good to be- the King!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 9:12pm PST 
Is it bleeding? We have had dogs come into the grooming shop with nails barely hanging on and usually with a little help they come right off then we put some medicine on it to start the healing process. If it has not fallen completely off and looks like there's noway it will "grow back", you may need to remove it. I would call you vet and ask him what you should do. It can be quite painful.
Sorry I don't have any better advice.

blue dog
[notify]
Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 9:31pm PST 
It sounds like she split it vertically, so the nail sheath has split off from around the quick vein? Right? It's not bleeding but you can see the little vein?

All you can do is snip off the tid bits of nail that are left hanging. As long as the quick is not bleeding, leave it be. The nail will grow back around it. Now if the quick is bleeding, in that instance all you can do is make a clean cut or file it straight (if the break was horizontal) stop the bleeding at let the nail grow back.

If you do not feel comfortable doing any of this, see the vet. Your dog could likely cry and yelp, as it is painful to fix nail breaks.
Buddy did it so much my vet tought me how to fix this and then I just got tired of it and he got them all removed.

Edited by author Tue Sep 22, '09 9:32pm PST

[notify]

Beowulf

Barked: Wed Sep 23, '09 4:16am PST 
Thanks for you help guys. It has split horizontal I think. The nail is above (intact, but hollow underneath where the quick would be inside it) and the exposed quick is below. The actual nail is not split. The quick bled a little at first, but hasn't since. It is starting to dry out, but the nail still seems quite firmly attached above. She yelps if I try to cut it, so I have given up. A friend said that they bite the nail off themselves, but I don't know, it seems well attached still. If I take her to the vet, they will have to put her under, and then cut it, as she is terrible with the vet and it's painful, so I will avoid if possible.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 1:59am PST 
If it is causing a lot of pain it may be best to get the vet to sort it anyway. If you dont go to the vet keep a close eye on it to make sure it does not get infected otherwise you could end up with a bigger problem and bill!
Take care, it does sound as if the claw will grow back at this stage.I had to clip Quigleys dew claws this week as they were getting long and sharp, he hates it and will do zoomies and wriggle all over the place to get away. I managed to get them done on the sofa when he was relaxing!!dog
[notify]
Ch. Chaz

We don't do- doodles!

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 4:30am PST 
you really should get that nail off.... every time she bumps it it's going to hurt like crazy! We have just grabbed them with a pliers and made a quick pull... it hurts when done but the dog is painfree after the nail is gone. As another poster stated... be sure to watch for infection!!!
Try giving a groomer a call... we help out with things like this all the time. Dogs aren't as nervous at a groomers as they are at the vets.
[notify]
Marvin, CGC,- FGDCH40K,- TFP

Where's my- ball????

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 4:39am PST 
Marvin did that. I ended up running him into the vet because he kept hitting and and making it bleed. They numbed the area and clipped it off and stopped the bleeding and it grew back just fine.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 6:57am PST 
That sounds exactly like Max's rear dew claw injury. I watched for about a month but the nail was firmly attached and that quick was not growing back into the nail so I had the vet cut the nail back to where the quick was in the nail. Was thinking I could keep the nail shorter that was as well but not to be. The quick still stayed exposed for months but at least only the tip was exposed not the whole little nub.

I was planning to have those enormous dew claws taken off if he ever went under but ended up having too much else to do so he still has his miniature rams horn shaped claws on his rear feet.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Sep 24, '09 11:11am PST 
Take him to the vet.
The broken nail is very painful and it can easily get infected. You need it taken care now before it gets worse.
[notify]
Beowulf

Barked: Fri Sep 25, '09 12:09am PST 
Thanks everyone, was about to give up and take her to the vet to get the nail cut, but a bit of running around in the salty water at the beach and romping with cousin Robert (Schnautzer), has done the trick and gotten the nail the rest of the way off. Now it can heal up properly and the new nail is free to grow. I'll continue bathing it so it stays infection free whilst healing.
[notify]