GO!

Has Frontline Plus stopped working for you too?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  
Jay-Jay

:-)

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 9:48am PST 
I posted this in another thread but thought I would start my own to see if any other doggies have this same problem, and what they have done to remedy it. Thanks for reading and for any other tips you can share. smile

My vet just started JJ on oral Comfortis b/c the Frontline Plus has all of a sudden stopped working.

We have...
sprayed with vet recommended spray (Virbac Knockout as mentioned above) and will do it again in 3 weeks,
vaccumed every inch of the house,
washed everything that we can in the hot water cycle,
dusted diatomaceous earth under beds and in crevices & corners where none of us can reach,
been putting a drop of lavendar oil on JJ's collar,
misting him a few times a weak with a nautral flea repellant,
and are waiting for the Brewer's Yeast tabs to come in tha mail.

Ohh and JJ is also a raw fed dog which is rumored to help with thigs like this, and I also dosed him with the Frontline Plus for the tick protection since it seems to still be working for that.

We have never ever had a problem with fleas so hopefully all of this will stop any fleas in the house and the new flea pill will stop any future fleas from laying eggs on poor little JJ. I think I might also add Advantage topical for extra extra protection also (after I research it a bit.)

All fingers & paws are crossed!
[notify]
Wisper

I smell- cinnamon!!!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 10:00am PST 
Hi Jay-Jay,

Please be careful when dosing with all of those flea medications... Too much flea product at once can send a pet into seizures. I have seen it so bad that a pet had to be given a small amount of euthanasia juice just to control the seizures before he was transported to emergency... He ended up being ok, and that was almost worst case scenario, but I would still only follow the vet recommended dosage for the flea products and don't go above and beyond that. I would just be persistent with cleaning your environment and the Comfortis will do it's job on Jay-Jay. smile
[notify]
Jackson

I LOVEEEEE You!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 10:12am PST 
We used Frontline in the past and it stopped working for us also....Comfortis has been awesome!!way to go
[notify]

Tucker, CGC,- TDI

Bloggin' Dog

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 11:21am PST 
I've never used Frontline, just Advantage previously and now Comfortis, but my vet did say that the reason why they sell the Advantage & not the Frontline/Plus, is because it has been shown to lose effectiveness over time.

As with anything else, I think the key is judicious use. My mom uses Comfortis for her Bichon and my sister uses it for her two dogs. My mom has gone up to 10 weeks between doses, and that is with a dog who has a documented, and ferocious, flea allergy. My sister doses one dog per month in the summer months and usually does one dog every third month the rest of the year. No fleas!
[notify]
Allee Oop!!!

I love my Mommy

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 11:43am PST 
My scottie has flea allergy and her and my longhair dachshund have been on frontline plus for almost 3 yrs with no problems. I haven't saw a flea on them since she was diagnosed w/flea allergy and the vet recommended frontline plus.
They don't even get a whole dose. I put half the tube on Allee and the other half on Bama once a month!

Edited by author Tue Sep 22, '09 11:43am PST

[notify]
Jasper- ♥ RIP- 5/29/13

Senior pets need- love too!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 12:40pm PST 
Jay-Jay, it quit working here in Central Texas last year. We put Jasper on Comfortis too due to SEVERE flea allergies. The Comfortis works great, as long as you give it with meals. Sometimes I add a Pepto tablet for stomach protection. But don't add other products at the same time. As others have said, you could put yourself at risk for seizures or worse! The DE really didn't do much for us here. We have put beneficial nematodes into the back yard soil, but with the extreme drought the last 2 years, don't know if they've survived enough to be helpful, but it did help for a while. I certainly wouldn't apply topicals when you're giving an oral systemic. Good luck!

Jasper & Pokie's mom
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 12:41pm PST 
Frontline Plus works fine for us, but I don't overuse it. Two doses for the year is it.
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 1:32pm PST 
Frontline Plus works fine for us, we had problems with Advantage and Advantix, ended up getting fleas when we used those a few years ago. shrug
[notify]
Connah Mara

Wait... what do- you mean I'm a- dog?

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 1:49pm PST 
I spoke to a person who works at petsmart a few weeks ago and they told me that they've completly stopped selling frontline there (at least at that store in particular) because of all the problems people have had with it.

I've heard the fleas are the ones that develop an ammunity so the more its used in a population no just on your dog the creater the chance of a void reaction.
[notify]
Jay-Jay

:-)

Barked: Tue Sep 22, '09 9:02pm PST 
Thanks for all the input puppers! And thanks for being concerned about JJ's health too smile

I FLed him a few days after the Comfortis and he has been acting just fine. I was leary of giving him 2 flea meds, so I of course asked the vet and he assured me that they have had no isues with Comfortis & FL being used together. Once it gets colder I stop the FL anyway b/c we don't go to the sea shore house and the tick risk is all gone for those months. I only used to FL him in the summer anyway, I never had to do it in the winter.

He just gets a quick mist of the natural flea repellant (which consists of only natural essential oils) when we go to the park or something like that. However, he did get a few extra spritzes in the last 2 weeks b/c of what has been going on.

I am brushing him constantly b/c I still see him doing the "flea itch", but I am not finding anything. Maybe they really are biting him then dying and falling off before I can get him with the brush - I reeealy hope this is the case!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5