GO!

Demodectic Mange recovery time?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Abby

fun fun fun

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 4:08pm PST 
Abby has demodectic mange.....generalized not localized.

2 questions:

1. What treatment worked best for your dog?
2. How long did it take for recovery?

Thanks
[notify]
Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Sat Sep 19, '09 4:30pm PST 
Buddy had that when he was a pup, very common with bully breeds. He had to go to the vet once a week for 6 weeks to get a special medicated bath. Thats how long it took before his skin scrapes came back showing the little buggers were all dead. Then we were giving I believe a topical mite solution for the spots where he had lost the hair. So it took about 2 months before the bugs were dead and the hair grew back.

Hope you get better soon, it does stink to get that.
[notify]
Abby

fun fun fun

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 12:56pm PST 
Thanks Buddy!!

It's good to hear that you eventually got better.

It sure is a S-L-O-W process.

Thanks again,

Abby
[notify]

Xena

Where's my ball?

Barked: Sun Sep 20, '09 7:16pm PST 
We got the Ivermectin shot (ask your vet about side effects of the dips, I believe liver failure is one of them). The shot is safer and faster as long as you are not a herding breed (Collies and Austrailian shepherds can't have it). It only took one injection to kill the mites and then her fur grew back within about a month. But she didn't have it bad, and the hair loss was just bald patches mostly on her legs and a bit on her face.
[notify]