GO!

Poop question: how many times?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Dessie

Wow, that- sandwich looks- scrumptious!

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 9:27pm PST 
So this is random and kinda invasive laugh out loud but I was wondering how many times a day your dog should poop. Dessie only does once. Awhile back I remember talking with a vet tech and had mentioned that she only pooped once a day and she flipped out saying that it was unhealthy. I chaulked it up to her being psycho (because she was) but now that it has festered for a while I'm curious. She pees Lord knows how many times a day, at least 5, but she only poops once.

Normal?

Edited by author Mon Sep 14, '09 9:27pm PST

[notify]
Figaro SDIT

Can't read my,- can't read my- poodle face

Barked: Mon Sep 14, '09 11:28pm PST 
Figaro poops once or twice a day. I don't think that's all that odd. It isn't like he is straining to poop.
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 4:08am PST 
I think "normal" applies to each individual pup. When Jet was on high quality foods (timberwolf ,Evo) he pooped huge piles 3/4 times a day. I have to feed cheaper food now and he poops 1 time a day. His feeding times are always the same time everyday.
[notify]

Czarka, CGC- UJJ

Why walk when- you can run?

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 8:14am PST 
Agree... depends on food (also assumes adequate water) and dog... Charks is 1-2 times per day. Lower quality diet would give more bulk/non-digestables and more... poo-piles.
[notify]
Isabel

"Woof, woof!"

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 8:52am PST 
Dog Poop:

I agree with other posts - it does depend on what you feed the dog and how much. Water also helps move things along. Look for grass-eating. Both Isabel and Brandy eat grass on occasion. The girls usually have two poops a day on a regular feeding and walking routine. On occasion, there is a third - smaller.
The Mom
[notify]
Bandit

i love the beach

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 9:01am PST 
Bandit usually poops 2 small ones a day since switching to human grade baked food. It's higher quality, far less grains than most kibbles (except the grain-free ones of course). Some days he only poops once, and at first it kind of freaked me out but since everything else was normal and he just didn't seem to NEED to go, I don't think much about it anymore.

Like other posters mentioned, just look at for straining, bad consistencies, and other signs that there may be something off there. Otherwise it's all good. If yr pup doesn't poop for a couple of days, then I would worry about blockage or something.

Cheers!smile
[notify]
Dessie

Wow, that- sandwich looks- scrumptious!

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 9:03am PST 
Thanks guys,

Dessie is on Orijen and I add water to it. She also drinks a good amount of water throughout the day. Her poops always look "good" (size, color and consistancy). Sometimes she'll poop twice on our walks, but most of the time its just once a day. I've only ever seen her "eat" grass once, but a tall weed had smacked her in the face and she attacked it big laugh

I guess that's just her shrug

Edited by author Tue Sep 15, '09 9:05am PST

[notify]
Mr. Kite "Sumo"

being for the- benefit of mr.- kite.

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 9:14am PST 
sumo goes twice, sometimes three.
shooter goes normally once or twice but if we take a walk,
he will go a couple more times.

it depends on their food/how many times a day they eat as well.
if they are on a food full of corn, they will go more times a day,
but if they are on a better food they will go less and have "better" poops. and if they eat twice a day, they will normally go twice.
sumo eats his dinner at 7 and doesn't have to go til the next morning. so he has one in the morning from his dinner the night before, and one in the afternoon from his breakfast that day.

shooter eats once a day- goes once a day normally.
i don't think there is anything wrong with that. more than three times a day i would say they are either not eating the right food or there is something wrong, depending on what the poop looked like.

not something to worry about, i wouldn't think.

happy pooping!
[notify]
Mr.- BoJangles

Behaving doesn't- always work for- me

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 9:46am PST 
Winnie: once and sometimes twice, but thats rare

Sunny: 1-3 times a day

Bailey: 1-2 times a day

Bo: 1-3 times a day
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Sep 15, '09 9:53am PST 
Kit usually goes twice a day. He eats Wellness for puppies and eats twice a day. He usually goes once first thing in the morning and then again after he eats dinner. Once in awhile he'll have to go 3 times, and once in awhile he'll only go once, but his normal is twice a day.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3