GO!

Tape worms causing bloody poop?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Callie the- Azores- Cattle dog

I'm so cute that- I can't stand- it!!

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 3:48pm PST 
Hello,

I noticed that my pup had been losing a lot of weight in the last two or three months. I thought it may be due to excercising more in the summer. However, I took a poop sample to the vet's this morning because the last couple of days her poop has had blood in it and it is very soft. The vet said she had a tape worm and that it was the cause of the blood in the stool. I felt, though, that there may be more to it. Has anyone had experience with tape worms and if they really do cause blood in the stool?
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 5:23pm PST 
Yes any internal parasite can cause bloody stools, most commonly you see it with giardia, but tapeworms, hookworms, roundworms, can also. Since most of these worms take away nutrients from the intestines, including tapeworms. I always heard tapeworms are the "flea worms"..they come from a dog ingesting infected fleas.
[notify]
Pepper

I'm a little- shrimp

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 8:52pm PST 
Parasites do cause blood in feces, bright red blood that is, and usually accompanies with loose watery stool. But one tapeworm is not that big of a concern, usually dogs can cure themselves unless they get a large load of eggs.

However............the fact that your pup has been losing weight is a concern. If worms was the cause and its Tapeworm, to carry a load like that you would see "rice" in the stool in large amounts for that period of 3 months.

Our dog had bloody mucous stools that were gray in color, foul smelling, and she went number 2 four to eight times a day. Lost a litle weight. They tested her for parasites so many times, never found anything. Finally they had us take her to Texas A and M, turns out she has Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Disease and not parasites.

Yes follow your vets instruction to treat for the Tapeworm, but if symptoms continue document them so you can figure whats going on, blood in stool comes with many many causes. hope your pup gets well soon.
[notify]