GO!

Soft paws for dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Sun Aug 23, '09 6:39am PST 
Has anyone tried soft paws for their dogs? If so, how did they work out? Would you recommend them? Ar e they safe?

Kit is veery hyper and playful, which we love, but results in us getting scratched by him pretty often. My sister used soft paws on her cats and said they worked okay. I kind of want to try them with Kit but before I spend the money on them I want to see if I can get any opinions from people who have used them with dogs.

Thanks!
[notify]
Vesuvius Lucy

I'm- Black &- White

Barked: Sun Aug 23, '09 7:17am PST 
Kit, I asked my vet for them for Suvi. She has needle like toenails. He said to save my money. I would have to replace them very quickly. They don't last long on dogs because dogs are very active and the tips wear through quickly and you are back to toenails.

That was his advice to me!
[notify]
Tennessee

I'm a blessing.

Barked: Mon Aug 24, '09 5:24pm PST 
I am 100% sure my dogs would chew them off while trying to keep their paws clean. I tried them years ago on a cat and it was ridiculous.. lasted a day or two.

Probably be better off learning how to dremel their nails..
[notify]

Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Mon Aug 24, '09 5:35pm PST 
I already know how to dremel his nails, but he's still scratching us. I'm probably don't do it often enough since he really hates it shrug I had a feeling that the soft paws wouldn't work, but I was hoping. Ooh well, I guess I can try to dremel his nails more often or just continue to deal with it.
[notify]
Molly

Chi-Hua-Hua!!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 1:42am PST 
I LOVE mine and so does Mommy!!! they work perfect for us and i walk a mile a day on asphalt and they do NOT wear through (they wear down but the edge is still soft). they last 8 weeks for me and sometimes one will pop off and Mommy put's back on no prob (they even send you a few extra in each kit) OH and i go swimming in the ocean with them too!!!!

Best of luck hope you give them a try and they work for you too!!
[notify]
T-Rex

I gots CUTE down- to a science!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 8:30am PST 
I'm threatening to put boots on Rex, cause he tries to climb me when I get home. He gets really overexcited whenever someone has been out, then comes back. We're working on training him out of the people-climbing, but it would be nice if we didn't get all scratched up in the meantime!
[notify]
Chloe,- KPA-CTP

Clearance Puppy - The best of them- all.

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 9:56am PST 
I've tried them a few times, Mommy said it wasn't too hard to get on, but i'm also pretty calm when i'm told to be.
I'm very active and they still stayed pretty well.

The only thing that we didn't like is the glue that comes with the soft paws were always dried up for us, so we had to use real super glue, which the few times i've ate the soft paws, my belly probably didn't agree with it. Not that mommy or I really noticed anything.

1 more thing, They got caught in my teeth sometimes... Which was just annoying till mom would get them out.

Other than all that, I really enjoyed soft paws, and it made play time for fun for mommy and daddy's face =] so I didn't get in trouble as often!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 10:46am PST 
Hm, I think I might try some!

None of our dogs have problems with their nails except Lilith.. not sure why... we dremel all the dogs' nails and keep em' ground down, but for some reason Lilith's nails (hers are clear, Luna's and Lantis' seems to be harder, black nails) develops edges really easily from running around outdoors.

The edges really hurt when she's playing and she bats Luna, or me.. confused I wonder if these will help.
[notify]
Kitsune

Divide and- cuddle!!

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 2:45pm PST 
That's the same with Kit - I do dremel his nails but either I don't do it often enough or his nails just get sharp again quickly, but he's very hyper and playful and my fiance and I are always covered in scratches from when we play with him.

I might try soft paws with him some time just to see if we like them. If they don't work for us, oh well, I just won't ever buy them again. Might be worth it to try though. shrug
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Tue Aug 25, '09 3:00pm PST 
It can't hurt to try, but if the dog is highly active they may not be worth it, they won't last very long. Though I don't see why you couldn't just reapply them with the special adhesive.
[notify]