GO!

Dog has soft stool, can't control bowels

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Arthas

I want some- spaghetti'o's- too mom!

Barked: Mon Aug 17, '09 3:39pm PST 
My dog has been sick lately. His poo is soft, and he either can't force it out, or can't hold it in.

My boyfriend consulted a vet, and he said that the dog probably had a mild blockage. He said that as long as the dog was still eating and drinking, and still active it wasn't an emergency to get him to a vet. He said that we should try giving him greasy foods to try to lubricate the intestine a bit, but my boyfriend didn't think to ask what kind of greasy food was safe for him to eat.

Any suggestions?
[notify]
Tippi

If you are- going, so am I.

Barked: Mon Aug 17, '09 5:26pm PST 
I don't know if greasy foods are what dogsters recommend! When Lila Rae was having diarrhea we gave her boiled rice water for two days and made sure she stayed hydrated. It checked the diarrhea in no time, and she was back eating her kibble.

other dogsters might be able to help a little more.
If it doesn't check, I'd let a vet chech her out just in case wave
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Aug 17, '09 5:32pm PST 
I think I like Tippi's advice better than the vet's. If you go try a different vet. Greasy food? That usually makes it worse not better.

Before the rice water try a short fast of 12-24 hours to let the system calm down. Then try plain water, a couple laps at a time every hour or so to see how it goes.
[notify]

Arthas

I want some- spaghetti'o's- too mom!

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 4:09am PST 
Well buh? If you can't trust a vet, who are you supposed to trust?

Luckily, I think it's going to be unnecessary to feed him anything outside of his normal diet at all. He passed a lopsided strangely shaped SOMETHING last night, and produced a mostly normal looking poo this morning. It was still a little soft, but he's always run to slightly soft poop. smile
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 6:42am PST 
The vet was right! A bit of something stuck. Glad he is better now.
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 7:09am PST 
glad u r ok....applause but vets are not always right.... esp without seeing the dog..... but often phone calls do help, like you did.
although.. a blockage can be very bad...and life threatening. as i am sure you know.
[notify]
Ferris

Butterfly Ears

Barked: Tue Aug 18, '09 9:08am PST 
I'm glad you posted this. I would not have thought of a blockage. Very interesting. Thank you.
[notify]