GO!

Drinking lots of water and peeing a lot, including accidents in the house...

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 6:39pm PST 
Ziggy is only 3, and lately she's been having accidents in the house. Sometimes it's when she's sleeping, but last night she squatted and peed right on the floor next to our bed. She has never done this - she wa potty trained at a very young age, so there has to be something physical going on.

Awhile back, after her seizures a few months ago, we had a bunch of tests done and she had high liver enzymes. We retested those a month or two ago and they were back in the normal range.

What are some things we should be concerned about, if any? Is it time for a vet visit, or could she be drinking a lot because it's hot out and then not being able to hold it? I just don't know because she never has accidents in the house.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 7:32pm PST 
I would call the vet and see if you could bring in a urine sample. Sounds like a UTI, hopefully nothing more serious.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 8:03pm PST 
If its not a UTI, then I'd test for diabetes.
[notify]

Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Fri Aug 14, '09 8:13pm PST 
Really, at such a young age? Is there a specific name for the test or is it part of the CBC panel?

I have suspected that her seizures could have been at least partially due to low blood sugar...they all have happened when it's been awhile since she's eaten. Since we started giving her snacks and making sure she's not overexerting herself when it's been awhile since she's eaten, she hasn't had any more! Hmmm...
[notify]
Charlotte- Mae

The Queen of- Everything

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 4:11pm PST 
Maybe you should have their thyroid checked.
[notify]
Millie/Drake

EAT -- and be happy!

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 8:01pm PST 
Not to be an alarmist or anything . . . but many years ago, when my 2 were puppies, I read that a sudden increase in water intake can be a sign of diabetes. I only remember that because I was a bit worried that Drake was always drinking a lot of water. He loves the stuff!

Increasing the amount of liquid I mixed in with his kibble worked very well. Now they're on raw and get most of their moisture from that. On the rare occasions that I do give them "fast food," I make sure to moisten it with a lot of warm water.
[notify]
Birdy

Princess- Birdykins

Barked: Sat Aug 15, '09 8:13pm PST 
A dog can be just fine with Diabetes these days there are so many food choices that are great. I sure hope everything is OK.
[notify]
Sachi- (1997-2012)

Dirt is a girls- best friend!

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 3:23am PST 
Definitely take Ziggy in to be tested for a UTI and diabetes. Both tests are done by checking the urine.
[notify]
B.J., CGC

We don't do- doodles!!

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 5:06am PST 
I know it's pretty hot here and some of my labs drink way more to cool off during exercise. Unfortunately, what goes in, comes out!
That said, I would have a urine sample checked first. If it's very dilute the first test is to check if the dog can concentrate it's urine.
[notify]
Ziggy

Woo woo woo!

Barked: Sun Aug 16, '09 7:02am PST 
Thank you, dogs...we will do those things...hopefully it's minor and we can get her back in the swing of things soon!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8