GO!

Does humidity affect dogs the same as humans?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Kato

Birds!

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 11:24am PST 
Humidty affects people because it prevents or slows the evaporation of the sweat on our skin. Since dogs don't sweat, I was wondering if humidity was as big a factor for dogs as it is for people.

Just curious.
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 12:15pm PST 
I would imagine it does, I know the heat has affected both us people and the dogs the same; we've all become a lot more sluggish and all but the birds have been acting out somewhat since it started hitting the mid 80's, even though we have air conditioning and fans, it was still 80 in the house when it was 90 outside.
[notify]
Augusta, CGC

Such a good dog!

Barked: Mon Jul 27, '09 9:01pm PST 
I was looking around about this and since panting cools the dog by evaporation, it looks like yes, high humidity would definitely decrease a dog's ability to cool itself, since the moisture doesn't evaporate as easily.

Most sites indicated heat and humidity are much harder on dogs than us, because dogs aren't as efficient as we are at dissipating heat.
[notify]

Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 2:23am PST 
In part I think it would vary with each dogs enery level, but with Jet, yes it does. When living in Az during high summer heat, he would slow down and we reduced our outdoor time from up to 3 hours a day to 2 hours a day. Very dry heat. But now living in Texas during the summer, 15 minutes is about all he can stand unless he is directly submerged in water.
[notify]
Rocky

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 3:40am PST 
Humidity is much harder on a dog than temperature for reasons already stated. In our part of the country we often have cool but humid mornings. When walking early, even before the sun is much above the horizon, my dogs have started to pant hard. I always watched them closely and often shortened their walk. My dogs would often want to stay outside on a hot dry day but want to come inside on a cool humid morning.
[notify]
Newman

If my snoring- bothers you wear- earplugs

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 5:25am PST 
For our dogs, the humidity is very hard for them to deal with. Pekes, obviously, deal with extreme weather conditions a bit differently than non braciophilic dogs. I keep them indoors as much as possible, put on all the fans in our apartment and set up a special 'doggie fan' at their level. When they go outside, it hits them the worst and they will start wheezing a bit.
[notify]
Posh

Pup-Pup

Barked: Tue Jul 28, '09 6:11am PST 
Yes, I think so too and agree with everyone. I also wonder if the oxygen level changes at all with high humidity. For me it always seems a little harder to breathe. But I have allergies, so maybe its more of a pollen issue shrug
[notify]