GO!

Help! My dog just ate an entire loaf of bread!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Chingu

Born to chase- squirrels

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 4:56am PST 
So Chingu (who is a 50lb jindo mix) ate an entire loaf of 7 cereal grain bread (450 g). He did it while I was away for about an hour and i've been home for about 30 minutes so I'm guessing he ate it right after I left knowing him (so about 90 minutes ago).

I'd call a vet or take him somewhere just to check but I live in South Korea and its almost 9pm and there is no emergency vet here. So there is no one I can call until the morning (also no one here speaks English). I did a quick google search and I am very concerned about bloat.

He isn't vomitting but he does seem to be breathing a bit heavy (then again that could be my paranoia). I haven't taken away his water but I've only left him a little bit because I read that could cause the bread to expand in his stomach.

I will take him to the vet in th emorning and watch him to see signs of the bread passing but when can I know that he wont die of bloat or soething like that?

**also i should note i fed him about 2 cups of dinner about 2 hours ago so he probably ate the bread about 30 minutes after that***

Edited by author Wed Jun 24, '09 5:00am PST

[notify]
Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 5:38am PST 
i hope your pup is ok. i would call the vet as soon as they are open. this happened to someone i know on another forum and they gave their dog a little peroxide to induce vomiting. i think its been several hours since this happened so thats probably not really worth the effort.

limit the water and keep an eye on your pup.
i wouldnt feed the kibble for now. once you go back to a regular feeding schedule try mixing a little canned pumpkin in, your pup wll probably be constipated.

good luck i hope they are ok!
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:12am PST 
To be honest, I think he'll be fine. Bloat is often accompanied by dry heaving and repeatedly trying to vomit without success. The dog's side may also become distended. I think you will know if your dog has bloat. He just won't be himself and you will know he is very, very sick.

I haven't heard of bread being the cause of bloat; usually it happens if the dog either drinks too much after eating, exercises after eating, or sometimes happens out of the blue for no apparent reason. I personally would just keep an eye out on him for any signs of obvious problems. Other than that I wouldn't be too concerned. Ours have gotten into worse..
[notify]

♥- Apollo- ♥

Mine! Mine!- Mine!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:15am PST 
I agree with Lilith, unless he has preexisting condition like pancreatitis(spelling?) or other digestional problems which you would know about he will probably be fine.
My male who can open up doors, let himself in the kitchen a lot when we are gone and several times has ate an entire brand new load of bread. He is always fine! Fat but Fine....
[notify]
Chingu

Born to chase- squirrels

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:26am PST 
Thanks everyone! He did just poop so I do feel a bit better. I just get so nervous here in Korea because vet care where I am is so limited and the language barrier makes it even more difficult, so if I have a question I google it and of course there are all these horror stories out there

I will still pop by the vets tomorrow, but I feel better reading the responses. Chingu does love to eat this is just the first time he's managed to get his paws on a lot of food at once.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:32am PST 
Last time, our big one Lantis got to a left-over party platter of sandwiches. We didn't even see that he had gotten to it till we found a neat pile of toothpicks on the ground right under the counter....

confused

Well, at least he didn't eat the toothpicks. ...

smile I hope your dog is fine.. smile It's scary when you can't communicate well in another language.... without the actual terms like "bloat", you're left with saying basics like "bread" and "stomach hurts".. I had to describe "hip dysplasia" as "hip bones that don't fit right" one time in Japanese.. red face

Edited by author Wed Jun 24, '09 6:33am PST

[notify]
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:39am PST 
Chingu, where at in Korea are you?
[notify]
Chingu

Born to chase- squirrels

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 7:08am PST 
We're in the Mokpo area in the Jellanamdo province.

The closest English speaking vet I know of is in Gwangju which is 90 minutes away and involves finding a taxi driver willing to take us. So far we've been lucky and I've only had to take him in to get his rabies vaccination which was difficult enough to explain.

My vet seems nice although the few English speakers I know in this town tell me he's not that good. I do know a woman in Mokpo whose dog broke its foot and took it to a different vet and the dog now has a permanent limp because the vet set it wrong.

I'm just crossing my fingers that he can stay healthy until November when I'll take him back to the US with me and I can have an in-depth conversation with the vet.
[notify]
Roscoe

I'm a lover, not- a fighter

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 7:29am PST 
I am not a vet, and this should not count as medical advice. I did find this link in a dogster blog: http://blogs.dogster.com/good-dog/toxic-food-and-substances-dough-th at-contains-yeast/2009/06/12/. From what I could find regarding bread, it seems all toxin lists I could find in a quick search mentioned raw, *unbaked* bread as a problem, including this list by the ASPCA:

http://dog-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/dog_toxins

If it was baked bread, not yeast dough, I'd guess he'll just have some digestive issues as any dog with a quick change in diet would have. Call the vet first thing when they open to make sure, though, of course.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 7:59am PST 
Bravo! A whole loaf. Sassy is proud of you.

Sassy has eaten many a whole loaf of bread oftentimes getting the butter as well. Can you say stupid humans?????? She would have loose stool for a few days and a big smile on her face the stinker. Unless the bread has a lot of something really toxic like macadamia nuts, chocolate or raisins not to worry.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3