GO!

Xanax???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Mason

the way to my- heart is through- my belly

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 6:59pm PST 
Mason was prescribed Xanax in an effort to mellow him out while he stays with my fiance's parents and two other dogs for a night. I'm not so sure this is the right way to go. My fear is that he will become aggressive while under the medication and 1-3 mg seems a little much, he's only 70 lbs. Anyone have experience with xanax???shrug
[notify]
Lily a.k.a.- Lil'Pup

I get to come- too.....right?

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 7:59pm PST 
Mason, why?

Can you please explain the sit. a littel bit better? As of now, it sounds like someone s looking to sedate you for one night. What's the deal?

There are plenty of waaaay better options to help you relax one night away from your pawrents.
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 8:21pm PST 
I assume when you take him to your fiances parents house with the other dogs he is going to stress out and that is why you are giving him the xanax, to calm him down? If you go through with it I would give him a dose at home to see how he reacts and how it affects him.

But I had a really possitive experience with Rescue Remedy. It's a herbal relaxer that is safe for dogs and people. I found mine at Super Supplements. Luna really freaks out when people come over to my house that she hasn't met. I put some drops of Rescue Remedy on her treats about a half hour before a new friend came over and she was calm enough to give the person a chance and got to know them. I used RR for three visits and now she is totally comfortable with my friend without any RR. I hope Mason's visit goes well.
[notify]

Mason

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 5:10am PST 
Taken away from his normal routines, Mason tends to be high strung, anxious, hyper, barky, and all around tough to handle. With the two other dogs, they tend to feed off each other. If one is barking the others chime in. Our friends and family often joke about Mason saying we should give him some doggy valium or something to take the edge off. So I brought this up to the vet and without further questioning, they wrote a script for xanax. I have also used DAP spray in the past but couldn't tell you if it really has any effect on Mason. My goal is to make this as easy on the parents as I possibly can. Mason has stayed with them on his own and was well behaved. But with our friends' dogs also staying over, I think that will create too much excitement and anxiety. We plan on crating them but I think Mason will spend all night trying to bust out. I just want to do all that I can to help Mason relax while we are away. I plan on spending the entire day exercising him so that he is physically tired but sometimes he catches a second wind and becomes hyper all over again.
[notify]
Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 5:32am PST 
i have a HUMAN Rx for Xanax and the dosage is .5 mg. yes, POINT 5 not 5. please tell me your doggie Rx is not 1-3 mg.

if its for one night while away i guess its not really a HUGE deal. just be aware Xanax is a sedative and will not take away the underlying anxiety it will just basically make him dopey or knock him out.
of course thats if humans and dogs have the same reaction to Xanax.

the .5 mg pill can make me loopy and tired, if i take two to make it a full 1 mg i am borderline passed out, i have run into walls and almost fallen down. everyone has a different reaction of course but it is designed to sedate you. i was given it to help wtih job related anxiety and i stopped taking it because it doesnt actually take away the anxiety it just makes me want to nap.

i would try it at home first to see how it works and if its just for one night i dont see a big deal. if you were giving it to him like every day or in any situation that might be stressful then you might want to reconsider but one night to help him calm down (as long as you try a small dose at home beforehand to make sure he doesnt have any bad/weird reaction) doesnt *seem* that big of a deal
[notify]
Byron

Bridge Angel - always loved

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 1:21pm PST 
I've heard great things about Rescue Remedy. I use a product called Calm Down for Dogs. It seems to ease Byron's anxiety during storms and fireworks. His response to it is pretty mild, but I used to have a rottweiler living upstairs who went absolutely bonkers during storms. I gave him the Calm Down and he was utterly quiet. It was a really dramatic change.

That said, I agree that one night on Xanax should be no big deal.
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 3:34pm PST 
Be sure to watch out for xylitol in some of the human versions of rescue remedy-type substances....thinking
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 4:08pm PST 
I have no idea how it works in dogs, but in humans:
Xanax and several other meds in the class of benzodiazepines are used for generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder (as are ssris and snris)
Tolerance to the sedating effects of Xanax will develop over time, but tolerance to the anxiolytic affects does not occur. These sorts of drugs get rid of anxiety by potentiating GABA. Yes, they can be addictive in humans. However, most mortality relating to benzos occurs when they are used with alcohol or other drugs.

scroll down for a nice little animation showing how benzos affect GABA from McGill

simple overview of xanax

possibly the geekiest article to which I have EVER linked on neuropharmocology

scroll down for list in middle of page with British names for benzos

info plus list of U.S. and Canadian names of benzos
[notify]
Mason

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:50pm PST 
thanks to all for your responsesway to go

If anyone has given xanax to their dog please share your experience!
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 6:54pm PST 
Safer and more effective (esp long term) would be working on this from a behavioral perspective instead of medicating imho. I don't think Mason has a hopeless case! He just needs to get some classical conditioning at your inlaws!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3