GO!

Senior Dogs & Rabies Vaccine?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Romulus

Veni vidi vici!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 3:25pm PST 
Dear Dogsters,
Me and my bro Rommie are senior dogs. We are due for our rabies vaccines (every 3 years), and wondered if it was safe at our age?

Our county requires rabies vaccines, and we are registered, licensed, and chipped. However, Mom is concerned about the health risks of vaccinating her senior babies.

Neither of us like dog parks, and we only stay in our yards. We do get walked, but don't run into many dogs (just poo here and there).

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

TIA!

Rommie & Ruby
[notify]
Bunsen--recl- aimed by- owner!

I wonder where- my people went?

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 3:37pm PST 
I sort of just went through this...the Black Lab I acidentally "acquired" last Thursday got his Rabies shot Friday morning. My vet, who is pretty holistically oriented seemed to think it was the best course of action, in his case, as no-one really knew his history.

At any rate, he did not have any immediate adverse reactions to it, but it is a tough call. Thea and Adlai--two of my three do not get rabies vaccines because of health concerns---BUT--I have been contemplating giving them a rabies vaccine because we travel quite a bit, and like to hike. So it's a tough call, I guess it all comes down to does the benefit outweigh the risks in your particular case? If your dogs don't venture away from home much, that's a factor...BUT, a few weeks ago, I saw a full-grown coyote trotting down the middle of my city street. So you just never know.

One thing you will probably want to do is Google "Dr. Jean Dodds Rabies Challenge." This will give you one opinion of the rabies vaccines, and if it lasts longer then it is administered.....

I know I didn't really answer your question, but hope it provided some food for thought....shrug
[notify]
Bunsen--recl- aimed by- owner!

I wonder where- my people went?

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 3:45pm PST 
http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/page4.html

Here is some info about the Rabies vaccine....why can't I post a link properly? Because I am old and computer un-saavy....Sorry!
(Copy and paste, I guess!)
[notify]

Sam We Miss- You August- 14,2007

Sam the tank

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 4:05pm PST 
I know for Sam, who was 17, they did give the rabies vaccine but discontinued every other vaccine. I didn't even suggest it, the vet did. That was before I knew about limited vaccinations and such.

Sam didn't have any health issues with it at all, but maybe check with the vet.
[notify]
Lilith

I'm a trilingual- dog!

Barked: Tue Jun 23, '09 5:40pm PST 
Our oldest dog has stopped all vaccinations. By law, they have to have rabies but some places will accept titer results. So we titer every time vaccines are due and if the level is acceptable, we leave it as it is. Costs a big more, but we feel better doing what's best for him.

Internationally, blood titers on FAVN rabies tests are widely accepted, even into rabies-free countries, so I would be surprised if these test results are contested by any city.
[notify]
Adlai

Let's Go!!!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 4:57am PST 
Lilith, I didn't know that...two of mine get titers and I wondered about the legality of it. They always get very high titers, but that makes me feel better!
[notify]
ARCHMX Asher RL1X RL2X RL3X RL

we will dance in- the ring without- words

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 5:52am PST 
I'll echo Lillith. Check with your state and local laws to see if they will accept titers in place of the shot. Titers are a bit more expensive, but well worth it.

We are all well past out puppy shots and titer for DHLPP, but still do Rabies every 3 years for now.
[notify]
Monty - My Angel- June'09

The big beast :)

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 7:52pm PST 
Agreed with what others are saying.

I work at a vet clinic and we have now started doing annual vaccines every other year and rabies every 3 years...Some rabies vaccines are NOT every 3 years, you have to check with you vet to ensure that smile

But as Monty got older I lessened his vacc b/c myself and Monty's vet (who works at the clinic) both thought he woudl be fine smile

It is all up to the owner smile We have some clients who don't vaccinate at all...they just do the minimum required which is usually rabies.

smile Hope that helps smile
Take care
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 8:33pm PST 
I'd definitely look into titers.

My biggest fear in not vaccinating - which I am currently researching - is what will happen if my dog is involved in a bite. Given that he goes everywhere with me, only has one eye (and thus is easy to startle and has no depth perception), and tends to complain and be mouthy... I worry about him "biting" someone quite a bit. It doesn't happen often at all, but he has misjudged disciplines on my friend's dogs and left a little scrape. He didn't mean to and expressed sorrow afterward, but if someone chose to sue me over it, that wouldn't matter at all. I know dogs who have been quarantined for grabbing clothing with no skin contact at all.

Hopefully I'll find out a titer is ok. I really don't want to put a vaccine in him.
[notify]
Sandy, RIP- 1994-2010

What!! You- talkin to me!?

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '09 8:56pm PST 
hmmm, this is interesting, and something that i've been thinking about lately since Sandy's due for his rabies. he's 14 1/2, and doesn't leave that house, so i've been wondering if it was really worth while at all.

maybe i'll check into the titers, can anyone give me a rough estimate of how much more expensive they are? oh, and how do you say titers? with a long or short i? just curious. might as well say it right when i ask the vet laugh out loud
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3