GO!

Is comfortis safe? Anyone have trouble?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Williamsburg- 's Annie

I love my Mom!

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 4:50pm PST 
Frontline quit working for us so we needed to change. I got my first dose of Comfortis and was really sick the next day with eye problems and face breakouts and had to go to the vet. It may have been a coincidence. Mommy doesn't know and is a little scared to try it again. Just wanted some other opinions on those using it.
[notify]
In Loving- Memory of- BOOMER

The Cat Did- It...

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 5:48pm PST 
Any dog can have a reaction to any medication, however, that's not typically how it presents. (Typically...not saying it couldn't happen)

The listed side effect of Comfortis is vomiting within the hour it is given. If this happens, the instructions are to re-give the product. If vomiting occurs again, the dog is presumed intolerant to the drug and it is not recommended to be used as flea prevention. There are other less common side effects such as lethargy, lack of appetite ect.

I would check with your vet and see what he/she would have you do. It could be coincidence or it could be a rare reaction.

Personal experience: I have 2 dogs, Boomer and Spot both were given the Comfortis. They are both on the same size dose and I gave it with their regular dinner meal, as it needs the fat from a meal to be metabolized properly. Boomer did not vomit, Spot did. I re-gave the Comfortis to Spot and he did not vomit and has not vomited again in the 6 months he's been on it.shrug
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 6:17pm PST 
We LOOOOVE Comfortis. It works GREAT and we have no side effects.
[notify]

Boomer

Fast Women Have- Good Times!

Barked: Mon Jun 15, '09 6:48pm PST 
I personally like comfortis but My trainer used it on her schipperke and he had HORRIBLE seizures. He is epileptic (carefully managed by diet) and has about a seizure every two months. With the comfortis he had seizures weekly to biweekly for about a month and a halfshock So if your dog is epileptic I would avoid it Just in case!
[notify]
Jasper- ♥ RIP- 5/29/13

Senior pets need- love too!

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '09 11:38am PST 
Jasper gets Comfortis. He has the occasional upset tummy, but if we give him a little Pepto, he's fine and it works well. He is so sensitive to flea bites, it was this or nothing. As for Pokie, who is epileptic, no chemicals whatsoever! We depend on controlling the flea population on Jasper and the kitty as well as put out beneficial nematodes in the yard. That all works quite well, and we have previously had horrible infestations. As a comment, to the friend's pup with epilepsy. Every 2 months is bordering on way too often. We dealt with Pokie's epilepsy with diet and supplements for a couple of years, and when they got to about 6 weeks apart and worsened, we went to phenobarbitol. Once we got to a maintenance dosage, he goes months and months without a seizure, and if he has one, it is much milder. They might consider going to medications, because if allowed to continue, the "short circuit" in the brain will only get worse and can be life threatening. Back to the Comfortis, we highly recommend it for a healthy pup.
[notify]