GO!

Dog with allergies and anal gland issues

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Dexter

Loverboy

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 4:01pm PST 
Has anyone solved these problems with a change in diet. And if so please let me know which diet you switched your pup to.
[notify]
Gracie

BIIIIRRRRDDDDSSS- S

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 1:05pm PST 
it took us almost two years of elimination diet to find the right food. unfortunately for us, some foods resolved the allergies, but were too rich for the tummy... we finally landed on natural balance duck and potato. good luck!
[notify]
Harley

Angel Princess

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 1:12pm PST 
for the anal glands- i haven't switched her food (she eats wellness) but i've added some canned pumpkin in her food and it seemed to do the trick because it's been over 3 months since she's had any issues!! (fingers crossed)

good luckwave
[notify]

Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 7:52pm PST 
Tanuk has allergies, and the only food he's done well on are the Natural Balance LID foods. Every time we try to switch off to something else the diarrhea rears its ugly head again. He's been on the duck, venison, and fish varieties and done well on all of them. Our cat who also has allergies has done well on the cat flavors too. I'd highly recommend it.
[notify]
Moose

My master is- good and smart- (up movie)

Barked: Fri Jun 5, '09 9:53pm PST 
We have severe allergies, but no anal gland issues. The only thing that worked after trial and error was a prey model raw diet. Dog is better - would not know that he had any allergies at all - he would have to go to the e-vet it was so severe, but now... better.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sat Jun 6, '09 6:59am PST 
Yes, I put Brodie on Natural Balance sweet potato and fish and this helped w/digestive issues and skin issues due to food allergy. I also put my Scottie on this as well bc she had a mild allergy and had anal glands probs as a pup but they are doing great now...also a wonderful thing I found is Probiotics! This has helped soooo much w/digestive issues in my bulldogs and if u look it up there's so many other benefits. I just give the regular one u can get for humans at walmart w/acidopholus.
[notify]
Beowolf vom- Mut

These things we- do...so others- may live!

Barked: Sun Jun 7, '09 3:02pm PST 
for the anal glands feeding original formula metamucil (not the orange flavored or sugar free), 1 -2 tbs dissolved in a 1/4 cup hot water with meals will help anal glands go to http://www.crvetcenter.com/ and explore site on home cooking - there is also a sheet on anal glands!

As for the allergies, I would suggest starting with a home cooked diet, beginning with a very bland start, chicken and brown rice (over cook the rice, more water than what is needed, make it mushy), then slowly add - Wolf who does not have allergies weighs 80 pounds and is fed 1 pound cooked meat a day (divided into 2 feedings) 3/4 cup of carb (brown rice, tri pasta or sweet potatoe), 1/8 -1/4 cup of chopped raw veggies, 1 one a day vitamin, 1000mg calcium with phospherus, 3 - 4 fish oil capsules, 1/2 tsp of metamucil, capful of apple cider vinegar and probiotics (all supplements are given with evening meal). I did have a chocolate lab who had SEVERE allergies (allergic to fungus, storage mite, dust mites and egg) I home cooked for her because we could not find a low carb food that did not have egg. Home cooking allows YOU to control what your friend gets and no worries of chemicals or RECALLS. If you have questions on home cooking I would be happy to help you out!!! Contact me either through here or my website www.tlfdsark9.orgpuppy
[notify]