GO!

One of the dogs got CYMBALTA--should I worry???

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 4:39pm PST 
I knew they got the bottle, but it was my moms and I didn't know if they had gotten it out of the trash or what and my mom just now told me that it was full even though I asked her earlier and she said she didn't know (GRR)

I don't know how many pills were in it or how if each boxer got some, but they are used to taking capsules.

They have had them in their system for several hourse now and I haven't noticed anything alarming or unusual.
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 4:42pm PST 
they could have eaten a whole bottle? i think you should call animal poison control, 1.888.426.4435

eta, everything in a google search says for an overdose you need to seek medical attention immediately. of course with any rx drug i'd assume that, theyre metabolized in the liver, so i would be worried yes. i would not trust myself to induce vomiting on my own, because after a couple hours, you dont know how much is already in the bloodstream.

Edited by author Mon Apr 27, '09 4:50pm PST

[notify]
Nari

Faithful Angel

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 4:43pm PST 
If I were if your situation I would have taken my dogs to the vet right away or called the Animal Poison Control Line (888) 426-4435
[notify]

Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 4:50pm PST 
Go to the vet immediately! Liver damage is quiet and will NOT show up immediately - you need to get them on supportive care and monitoring as fast as you can, just to be safe. It is absolutely NOT worth the risk to do nothing.

ETA: And bring the Cymbalta.

Edited by author Mon Apr 27, '09 4:53pm PST

Boo

Eye-Catcher

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 5:32pm PST 
I thought the bottle had been empty and in the trash, thats why I didn't worry earlier and I asked mom right away and she didn't know. When she got home she was mad that they got her medicine.

I looked at the bottle though and it was dated on april first so there were only a few pills left.

I googled it and one of those emergency vet people had answered for someone else whos dog ate a cymbalta and it was a little dog. He said to watch it for any abnormal signs but to just keep it at home. We don't have an emergency vet and my parents wouldn't pay to go unless there were obvious signs of an emergency.

Boo has been constipated a little bit-that is a side effect of cymbalta though.

There are several results if you google 'dog ate cymbalta'

aghred face
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 6:10pm PST 
Boo hon they could get liver failure from this, even waiting a day could be deadly you dont know if one dog ate all the pills or which ate which, can you call the hotline, they might be able to tell you what the antidote is, i'm not even sure how you could get that though.....how many hours ago exactly was it?

eta. i had to call a poison control hotline once when my dog swallowed a tylenol. the hotline might say they charge you $55 but they never asked me for my credit card and they never charged me. i think it's a donati0n not a charge like it says.

now they said i could induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. however, she had just swallowed the pill, so no time went by for it to go in her bloodstream. but i didn't want to induce it anyway, i didn't trust myself or trust if all the pill came up or not because they said if the whole pill does not come up you have to take her in to the er anyway.
you said "several hours ago" so i assume it's too late to induce vomit anyway. if you can't go to an er tonight, i think you really need to take them FIRST THING tmw morning to your vet...i can't say that's a good idea to wait though.
1 tylenol can kill a dog and cat.

one of my cats died because i waited to take her to the vet the next morning when she got sick in the night. i never knew what killed her it might have been a genetic heart defect and stroke. but i'd give anything if i could go back and rush her to the er that night, not the next morning.

Edited by author Mon Apr 27, '09 6:23pm PST

[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 6:23pm PST 
I agree with Nari. I would have been on the phone with the vet the second I found the bottle and out the door on my way as I talked with him.

With any pets, just like with children, you have to keep medications out of reach!
[notify]
Dr. Watson

Not a wiener- dawg!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 6:55pm PST 
If you don't have an emergency vet, is there a vet who will come to your house? thinking

Or an emergency vet somewhere in your county? Go there now!

Look on the bottle -- it will tell you how many pills were in it.

Then ask your mom if she took one (or two or whatever) everyday, if she can tell you! Also ask her if she can remember about how many were in the bottle the last time she looked in it.
If it was a bottle of 30 pills and she has been taking them, there are only 3 or 4 left.

If you absolutely can't get to the vet, I don't know what to tell you, but it will probably not hurt to keep them well-hydrated.
[notify]
Nari

Faithful Angel

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 7:11pm PST 
Call the Hotline. Your parents won't pay? I thought in another thread you said you were an adult? Why aren't you paying? I have to pay for Nari's bills... she just got bit by a snake and it was about $1,000 for treatment, overnight stay, observation, antibiotics, and pain meds. I had to take it out of savings. Thank god I do have lots of money saved up for doggie emergencies. Get your dogs to the vet if you don't know! Liver failure won't show until it's too late. Early signs of liver failure are:

Premature death
Gastrointestinal discomfort
Excessive urination
Excessive thirst
Lethargy
Bloated stomach
Jaundice

Even if my dogs just had a few pills I would have flown down to the vet for one of those throw-uppy pills. I don't want my pups taking my anti-depressants!
[notify]
Luka

The sweetest- boy!

Barked: Mon Apr 27, '09 8:33pm PST 
You are in Ashland, OH, according to your page. Here are two ER vets in the area, the first is open 24 hours a day and the second is an ER vet service.

Akron Veterinary Referral ad Emergency Hospital
1321 Centerview Cir, Copley - (330) 665-4996
Website

Cloverleaf Animal Hospital:
Afterhours ER vet service

Please take them, just to be safe. We nearly lost Luka last month from liver failure after he ingested something, though at the time we did not know he had gotten into something toxic. If we had, we would have gone in that second.

A few days went by and we knew he was "off" but we did not think it was serious and hoped his "blah" would pass, but it didn't. I finally took him in even though he just seemed quiet... When his bloodwork was in we found out he was in almost total liver failure. It was an awful moment, and terrifying, too. He had been slowly dying and we had NO idea. But liver failure due to toxic ingestion can be stopped and supportive care as early as possible is the best way to combat it. Our Luka survived, thank god, but it was terribly close and I would not wish the experience on anyone... had we waited one more day we might not have him with us today.

Take them in. Please. Waiting is just not worth it when the liver could be compromised.

Edited by author Mon Apr 27, '09 8:41pm PST

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9