GO!

Licking her brother's ears

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Addison Coy- *Addie*

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 5:22am PST 
Recently I've noticed Addie licking inside Toby's ears and I'm wondering if I should be concerned or discourage it. Toby has a tendency to get ear infections because of food allergies, but hasn't been having problems recently. I'm afraid that her licking his ears will either cause an ear infection, or may be a sign of one already starting and that's why she's licking. What do you think?
[notify]
Miss Priss

little one

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 5:58am PST 
Yes, sometimes they lick because of slight odor or drainage...
If your baby has a tendency to get ear infections ....you may want to try a Probiotic supplement /
Here is a link to help-

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Bulldogs-2360/2008/12/bulldog-ea r-infections.htm
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 8:22am PST 
boo cleans laylas ears allllll the time. she has nver had an infection. vet said make sure they stay clean and dry otherwise and it shouldn't matter.

you should be cleaning them weeklt anyway, so it shouldn't matter, i am sure there isn't a lot of saliva being transferred lol
[notify]

Addison Coy- *Addie*

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 8:25am PST 
I wonder if this is a puppy submissive behavior? I know Boo is still pretty young, and Addie is only a year old.
[notify]
Malyce

Mothers day and- Daddy's Birthday- pup

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 9:51am PST 
I lick my brothers ears all the time so they will give up the toy they are chewing on. Mom tells me to stop I do get them all wet inside. No infections yet mommy says the dogs she had a while ago used to and she had to use drying cream in their ears or was at the vet with ear infections all the time no matter how much she cleaned them. Good Luck I hope you don't have any problems with it.
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 11:16am PST 
Boo is 8 mos, thats a good thought, Layla lays there and lets him do it.

Maybe it is like their "job" in the pack to groom the adults-he does it to our other older dogs as well--but they have infected ears so not as much cause they are gross inside lol.

But I can see that, like monkeys picking bugs off each other lol
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 1:55pm PST 
Lily (4 years) cleaned Moira's (2 years) ears. I took Moira to the Dr and told him Lily says there something wrong with Moira's ears. Moira had a yeast infection.

Maybe your older dog has a problem the young one can smell.
[notify]
Bruce

Yippie! Spring- is here :)

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 3:26pm PST 
My brother cleans my ears. I've never had an ear infection. They're so big and upright they dry very easily. laugh out loud
[notify]
Jessica CGC

Will work for- food

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 4:14pm PST 
it's surprisingly dominant behavior, like that of a mother dog cleaning her pups. it has caused (or helped to cause) a yeast infection in my dog's ear though.
[notify]
Layla

Classic Beauty

Barked: Thu Apr 16, '09 4:36pm PST 
that also makes sense of it being dominant. Boo has a dominance/aggression problem in his little head.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2