GO!

Olive Oil for Shedding/Pineapple for Poop?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 7:29pm PST 
Not sure if this topic belongs here or not, but I was talking to my neighbor and she was telling me a few things about how to help my pups. What do you guys think of this?

She said a half to a whole teaspoon of olive oil in their kibble will help ease the shedding of my short-haired dog. I don't get how it would, unless the oil makes the follicles stronger or something? I don't know.

Also, she said giving the dogs some pineapple will make their poop smell and taste so bad that they won't even consider going near it! Granted, my other dog only eats his poop when he gets nervous (ie., when a storm is on the way).

Has anyone here heard or tried this stuff?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 7:39pm PST 
Olive oil contains omega 3's, which are essential to maintaining healthy skin and coat. Grain fed livestock is low in O3s to start with, and O3s are easily destroyed in processing. Since the vast majority of livestock is grain fed this makes most diets deficient in omega 3's. Supplementing can really do wonders. You do need to balance O3s with vitamin E, which is why most people use salmon oil instead of olive oil. Salmon oil naturally contains both.

I have heard of the pineapple trick, but never used it. If my dog obsessively consumed his poop because he thought it was delicious, I would try it. You know why your dog is eating poop, though. Gross as it is, you're actually getting information on his emotional state. That can be very useful, and I would hesitate to remove the symptom without focusing on the cause (fear).
[notify]
Misty

Can I chase it?!

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 9:52pm PST 
I was told that you still have to supplement vitamin E when using salmon oil..... Just throwing that out there.
I saw Victoria Stillwell use the pineapple thing once on her show and it seemed to work, but you never really know on TV anyway.
[notify]

MaggieMay

Queen Of The- Universe

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 11:29pm PST 
Pinapple worked wonders on my Cocker Spaniels problem with eating poop. I just added a bit to her food daily and it cut down on her "snacking" alot. I also add about a tbsp to both of my dogs food daily and they both have soft shiny coats.
[notify]
Adlai

Let's Go!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 5:30am PST 
Pineapple contains bromelain, an enzyme, which is the active ingredient in some meat tenderizers. So it is basically the same thing as the meat tenderizer trick, except less refined.
Plus, your dog can get the added benefits of pineapple. The bromelain can help with gas and loose stools, too.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 7:56am PST 
Olive oil isn't that great a source of Omega 3. Fish oil is better. If you ask your dog canned salmon or sardines or mackerel is the way to go. Salt free or rinse best you can though. I froze most of the can's contents in separate bits for easy snacks. Besides supporting the skin with good fats remember to bath regularly and rinse any shampoo well out and brush often. Warm water helps release old hair so do a lot of combing/brushing after a bath and the dog should shed less for at least a week.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 10:09am PST 
My salmon oil contains vitamin E. I know some salmon oils are pretty questionable, though, so it's definitely best to research your chosen product. For example, many soft gel pills made for humans contain soy. There was this controversy a few months back.
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare

Barked: Tue Apr 14, '09 5:54pm PST 
Thanks for all your help! I'll try adding a bit of oil to their food. And I'll try to redirect the poop-eater's brain during an oncoming storm. hehe
If it gets bad, though, I'll try some pineapple. big grin
[notify]
Malyce

Mothers day and- Daddy's Birthday- pup

Barked: Wed Apr 15, '09 9:30am PST 
I used to feed Olive Oil till my Vet said to stop all cooking oil will cause Pancreantitis in dogs and that really makes you sick it happened to me. So only use fish oils that are believe it or not more natural then oilive oil is and wont make your dog sick. My mommy didn't know why I was vomiting and in pain till we went to the vet and found out why. It's worse for smaller dogs but can happen to larger dogs to. They may cost more but is way better for your dog.
[notify]