GO!

Albino Dogs?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Shia (- shy-uh )

Mr. Sir

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 12:26pm PST 
Hi everyone! Well, we just brought home a chihuahua puppy, another one rescued from a mill =( and she's wonderful!

The thing is, is she is albino, she's really sensitive to light and things, and my vet said to be careful with the length of time she is in the sun. I basically am just wondering if anyone else has any advice / tips for me on any other specifications i need to look out for with an albino dog, thanks so much in advance! ( i'm making her a profile in a few minutes )
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 12:52pm PST 
Huh. Well I know certain breeds that are white with blue eyes have a tendency to be death, not sure if that'd go for albinos as well? Main thing I'd say is you get to enjoy buying her tons of cute clothes and doggles without feeling silly! Seriously, buy her outfits that cover her back, maybe even a little hat. They also sell tiny doggles that can protect the eyes just like human sunglasses, so I'd get her used to wearing these types of things. Hope that helps!
[notify]
Luna

scratch my- booty...come on- just a lil!!!

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 1:35pm PST 
OMD! She is precious! She looks so much like Luna did when I got her. I have never done anything different with Luna than I have with any other dog. I put sunblock on her, especially on her ears and nose, if we were outside long in the sun, but I've done that for my other dogs toosmile

BTW: Luna developed brown patches on her head as she grew up. I don't consider her albino even though her ears appear see-threw and pink sometimessmile I am glad you saved herhug
[notify]

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 1:50pm PST 
Your vet said she was albino? She (if I am looking at the correct white Chihuahua on your Dogster pages) has deep brown pigmentation in her nose suggesting she isn't albino at all.thinking
[notify]
Shia (- shy-uh )

Mr. Sir

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 2:28pm PST 
Thanks Sherpa, and Luna!! BTW You're sooo adorablered facered face

Syke, yes the vet said she was, due to a skin condition she keeps getting when exposed to the sun for longer than a little while. I'm new to the whole albino thing completely and thats why im concerned. Her nose is certainly brownish/ pink, a little transparent, so it's confusing to me as well and he even mentioned that ( the vet ), but they concluded she was in fact albino, so whether she is for CERTAIN or not really doesnt matter, because she still has a skin issue with the sun, and an issue with light with her eyes, so my post was to see if theres anything else i need to look out for =)blue dog

Thank you so much all of you!
[notify]
::Loki::- Rainbow- Bridge::

R.I.P Loki My- Savior in so- many ways

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 2:58pm PST 
I have to agree that she doesn't look albino at all. She has pigmentation on her nose, and albino anything, usually DOES NOT have pigmentation of the iris (color part of eye). I don't think the vet has ever even seen an albino dog before, to put your beautiful baby in that category. I have a wonderful site that explains albinism in dogs. In order for you dog to be put in an albino category is to have genetic testing done, that is the only true way to know if your dog is an albino.

White dogs with blue eyes are in a category all in their own, it is still unknown which gene causes white coat and blue eyes in dogs.

Each breed of dog has a specific gene that mutates to cause albinism, albino dogs, and most albino animals and albino humans have the mutation of the Tyrosinase gene, in order to be put in the albino category, the coding sequence of the TYR gene must be mutated.

Here is a great site that talks about albino gene mutations and the TYR gene with specific dog breeds.

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/white.html#white
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 3:04pm PST 
Even though she isn't albino, sunblock is still important for a girl like her!
[notify]
Shia (- shy-uh )

Mr. Sir

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 3:19pm PST 
Thanks so much Loki! Very valuable information, i will be getting a second opinion, which i had already planned on doing =) Also, her eyes arent blue theyre this sea green / grey color, its very strange, but beautiful =)

Thanks again everyone, we appreciate all the help!
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Sun Mar 22, '09 5:52pm PST 
my sis has an albino chihuahua and he's never had any problems
but sunblock is important if they are out in the sun a lot.......ok i just checked the pics and my sisters dog is that color and supposed to be albino as well.
thinking
i need to look up that info as well!
anyway your doggie is super cute!

Edited by author Sun Mar 22, '09 5:53pm PST

[notify]
Shia (- shy-uh )

Mr. Sir

Barked: Mon Mar 23, '09 8:32am PST 
Thank you Brodie Bear! Yeah we've done the sunblock thing for our other dogs so that wont be an issue, thanks forthe advice!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2