GO!

Tips to keep her from licking bandage

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lexi

I'm home!

Barked: Mon Mar 16, '09 10:17pm PST 
Lexi got cut on the fence today when she tried to jump up to say hello to the neighbor. We put antibiotic ointment on it and bandaged it, but she keeps licking the bandage/tape.

We tried just a teensy tiny bit of hot sauce on the bandage and she licked it right up...laugh out loud Not sure what else we can do tonight as no pet stores are open, so we can't buy a cone, etc. until the morning. But then I'm not sure what to do when we have to go to work - we crate her, and I'm not sure if crating her with a cone is a good idea...confused

Help!
[notify]
A team

Never fear the A- team is here!

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 5:07am PST 
We got this bitter paste stuff to put on bandages. It is really bitter. When I apply it I can even smell/taste it. We got it from our vet, but I think a pet store would sell it. If is a small 3oz white bottle with blue and green writing. If has a flip top. I wish I could remember the name.
[notify]
Tanuk CGC

Sherpa Tanuk of- Everest

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:13am PST 
Bitter Apple and Fooey. They work for some dogs, but not ours. And I would think a cone in the crate would be fine as long as she is not cramped in the crate. I mean, that's what the vet does.
[notify]

Dakota

Principles ...- Values ...- Common Sense

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:16am PST 
If you all find something that really really does work, please let me know. My Mom has tried everything and I will not stop gnawing the hair off my butt and forearms. Mom even tried bandaging up my forearms from wrist all the way to the top, and I just ripped them off.

Mom finally broke down and got an e-collar. I was not the least bit happy and ran in circles for a while trying to get at my back end. I'm kind of used to it now, but Mom doesn't want me to live in it forever.

I'm not sure if an e-collar inside a crate is a good thing. Couldn't the collar get stuck or something? Ask your vet for advise.

Edited by author Tue Mar 17, '09 8:19am PST

[notify]
Dandelion

helloooo....! - i\'m TALKING to- you!!!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:43am PST 
one my cats used to rip/lick all her fur off, too - she was fiercely allergic to fleabite.
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:52am PST 
I know this is a little late since you probably already were able to get to the store, but next time you can try roll on deodorant on the bandage to keep her from licking. You don't want to put it on the wound itself of course, but most dogs don't really like the taste of it so it can be used to keep bandages protected.
[notify]
Dakota

Principles ...- Values ...- Common Sense

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 12:21pm PST 
Well. Deodorant wouldn't work for me. I love licking fresh deodoranted underarms red face
[notify]
Lexi

I'm home!

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '09 8:08pm PST 
Haha...well, she still licks it, despite the bitter apple spray we bought today. But She hasn't licked the bandage off, so that's good.

The problem NOW is she will NOT let us near it to change the bandage. We even put a mesh muzzle on her and I tried to hold onto her while my husband tried to take the old bandage off. Any time he came near her, she lost it - squirming to the point I couldn't hold her, gouging my foot with her back claws...so I really don't know what to do now!
[notify]