GO!

Surgery to remove bladder stones

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

^Raggs^ - RIP

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 12:48pm PST 
I'm looking for a little advice from anyone who has gone through this. Raggs (mini schnauzer) was at the vet 2 weeks ago for what we thought was a bladder infection (blood in urine). He was put on Baytril for 1.5 weeks and SMZ for a month. After 2 weeks, he was still urinating blood and was just not himself. I took him to the vet this morning and they wanted to do X-rays to see if he had stones. Well, they just called me to tell me he does have stones and will need to have them surgically removed. He will be operated on this afternoon. They will then send the stones off to see what kind they are.

My question is what should I expect during his recovery? will he be able to go to the bathroom ok? I'm assuming they'lll give him pain medications. I just want to make sure he can heal and comfortably as possible. The poor little buddy has been through a lot the last 2 months - he had over 20 teeth pulled the day after christmas - and now this. So, any advice would be great. Thanks!!!!

UPDATE: The vet just called - they removed 5 small stones...Raggs was just coming out of recovery. He will be at the vets office until at least Monday - is that normal?? It seems like a long time, especially over a Sunday, when the office is closed. He said that they'd call me if there was a problem, so if I didn't hear from them, to call Monday morning and they'd let me know when he can come home. My poor guy...

Edited by author Sat Feb 28, '09 2:21pm PST

[notify]
LIVEE

Adam's my- American Idol

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 4:57pm PST 
Actually a friend of mine has a schnauzer like you & recently had the same surgery. He had a ton of stones. When my friend showed me the xray & then the stones it was unbelieveable...they looked like 'Nerds', you know the candy but dark gray in color & sad to say were even in his penis. He was in the hosiptal a couple days also like you, if I remember corretly, the day of the surgery & the day after. He is doing well now. He did pass blood for a couple days after surg but was told this was normal & now is on a special urinary diet food. I too am on special urinary food (Urinary SO by Royal Canin) today I was diagnosed w/my 2nd UTI & have had urinary crystal in the past...thank goodness no stones. You will be in my thoughts & prayers for a quick recoveryhug
[notify]
^Raggs^ - RIP

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 5:35pm PST 
Thanks for the thoughts and prayers...they're appreciated!
Can I ask, what is the difference in Urinary food and regular food? I've been feeding Wellness Core - is there too much protein inthat food that makes their urine do weird things?
[notify]

LIVEE

Adam's my- American Idol

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 6:30pm PST 
I believe so....the high protein. Livee was originally eating Innova & the Vet said that may have been the begining of her problems. Innova was a high protein food. wink Also, wanted to tell you...she has done very well since being on Urinary SO food, it has been 1 1/2 years since her last UTI. Luckily she's never had blood in her urine, just the frequency & some leaking while sleeping are her 'signs'.

Edited by author Sat Feb 28, '09 6:33pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 3:23am PST 
Yes there are types of dog foods for urinary issues science diet has a dry and wet food for urinary health. The difference is the percentage of "ash". Which is the percent of overlooked vitamins and minerals left in the food. Check the back of your food bag or can for ash content. You want to keep it in the 1.5% or less ash. Ash causes urinary issues with cats and dogs. Hope this helps someonewink
[notify]