GO!

Breath smells like urine

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Chloe

3AM = perfect- playtime!!!

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 9:32pm PST 
For over a year now, Chloe's breath has smelled like urine. We went to the vet and got blood work done, all levels were normal. The vet said it was probably just intestinal issues, slow digestion so the smell is leftover bacteria from the food. I can deal with it, especially since her kidneys and liver are working fine. However, is there anything I can give her to make these bacteria digest completely instead of becoming stagnant? A different vet gave me a probiotic to help with diarhhea and I think I'm going to give this to her every day with yogurt but I'm open to suggestions... Thanks!!!
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 10:44pm PST 
Probiotics are a great start. I'd add in digestive enzymes also. The best ones I've found for dogs is Azmira Digest Zymes. It has enzymes that digest proteins whereas most enzyme supplements usually only have enzymes that digest carbohydrates.

Are the dog's teeth clean? Grubby teeth can cause stank breath too.
[notify]
Chloe

Barked: Tue Feb 24, '09 6:28am PST 
Yeah her teeth are fine. That's the first thing he checked for was dirty or abcessed teeth. It's definitely coming from down her throat. I'll check into that enzyme you told me about. It is okay to use both though? The supplement we just started is called forti-flora.
[notify]

Chloe

Barked: Tue Feb 24, '09 6:32am PST 
Sedona, I tried to get that enzyme but there is no option to ship to the US. Does anyone know where else I can get a similar product.
[notify]
Byron

Bridge Angel - always loved

Barked: Tue Feb 24, '09 10:42am PST 
I don't know if Vitamin Shoppe is a national chain or not, but you can order online. They have both probiotics and digestive enzymes for dogs through a brand called Optimal Pet. I didn't know about the difference between enzymes for carbs vs. proteins though, so I can't be sure whether these will help digest proteins.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Tue Feb 24, '09 11:22am PST 
That is a US company.

http://www.azmira.com/
[notify]
Sedona

The Wise Cracker

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 2:20pm PST 
There are a few retailers in Ohio that carry the product. If you're looking for an online store to buy it from there is a link to all the stores on the Azmira site. Here, Online Retailers.
[notify]