GO!

Could One Chocolate Chip Hurt?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

  
Bingley

Cookie Monster
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 1:31pm PST 
My mom was eating chocoalte chips, ghirardelli semi sweet, and dropped one on the couch. Of course Bingley got to it before I knew it was there and gobbled it down. I saw him chewing but didn't know what he had, so I fished in his mouth, and only got a finger with chocolate slime for my effort.

Could one chocolate chip hurt him? He just ate it maybe a minute or two ago. He's about 12 lbs (if that makes any difference to the amount of chocolate)

His vet isn't in until tomorrow morning, and the only E-vet around here is one that couldn't even diagnose a huge tumor in my old cat's stomache, so I don't trust them for anything. Any advice? Please?
[notify]
Rocket

Rocket's Red- Glare
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 1:38pm PST 
Rocket once ate a whole piece of chocolate, one that comes in one of those Whitman's Samplers. I got SO nervous that she was going to get sick or even die from it, but she didn't even have diarrhea from it or anything! If I didn't see her eat it, I wouldn't have known that she did.

I think she'll be fine after one chocolate chip. Just no more! wink
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 1:41pm PST 
Thanks! I know I'm probably worrying more than I should, but that's what us dog parents do best, lol. You just read all these warnings about dogs and chocolate, but they never tell you the amount to really worry about, so I didn't know what to think.
[notify]

Peanut Baby

Getting a- furless sister!
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 1:43pm PST 
I'm 100% sure she will be fine after 1 chocolate chip.
[notify]
In loving- memory of- Lilo

Support bully- love. Ban BSL.
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 4:58pm PST 
One chocolate chip is fine. smile

For a dog to get sick after eating one chocolate chip he would either have to be:

A) Under 1 lb
B) Have a very, senstive system or a health problem (some health problems will make it to where even a grain of sugar will set a dog off)
or
C) Eating one chocolate chip every day for quite a while

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 6:35pm PST 
Sassy got sick after getting into chocolate a few times. I was so strict about any chocolate I would dig one M&M out of her mouth - she is 42 pounds! That was silly, dogs won't get sick from one!

Here is a link to an interactive chocolate toxicity chart. Your pup would have to eat at least .5 ounces of semi sweet to even show any consequences at all.
link
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?
 
 
Barked: Sun Feb 22, '09 8:10pm PST 
34 pound Sasha scarfed down half a batch of chocolate chip cookies. That means she got 6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate. The boys on the track team were not very happy when they found out where their cookies went. She was fine. Bored at the track meet. I had to take her with me so I could watch her. Doctor said it might make her hyper, but then laughed and asked how would I know with that dog.
[notify]
Sam We Miss- You August- 14,2007

Sam the tank
 
 
Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 8:02am PST 
Before I knew better, a younger Sam would eat chocolate chip cookies, raisins, Oreo cookies, jelly beans, grapes, etc. Sam was 45 pounds and never had any issues. He lived to 17.

I never feed those things to my dogs now, but just wanted to let you know that your pup should be fine.
[notify]
Luna

Luna Beast
 
 
Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 9:57am PST 
I had a dachshund that lived to be 18 yrs after she ate an ENTIRE one of those HUGE hershey's kisses that come out for Valentines day! She was a little bloated but was okay :O) :O)
[notify]
Rosie

Lick, lick, lick- I like to lick.
 
 
Barked: Mon Feb 23, '09 11:28am PST 
No one chocolate chip will not harm you. Did you know that it is in fact the dark chocolate that is poisonous to dogs. Ya I still wouldnt feed any chocolate but its the dark stuff you should really be weary of. Rosie once got into the kids easter chocolate. We left a basket full on the table and she got into it all! Wrappers and everything. She was sick. Vomit, diareah with wrappers to! She was in pain! But by that evening she was fine. She was very lucky I think. So I wouldnt worry.way to go
[notify]