GO!

Generic Clavamox?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

S

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 1:31pm PST 
I know Clavamox is just about the best antibiotic out there for a lot of the skin infections and UTIs, but it's *crazy* expensive. The last time I had to buy it for my mastiff it cost over 300 dollars for 10 days. My girlfriend just came home from the doctor with a prescription for Amoxicillin-Pot Clavulanate which turns out to be exactly what's in Clavamox, it was less than 70 dollars (before insurance paid anything). This of course got me wondering whether I could ask our vet to prescribe the generic the next time Sooney gets a UTI (she's a surprisingly healthy dog given her past life as a hoarder dog, but not very surprisingly, having been bred repeatedly, she gets those infections now and again -- she's spayed now of course).

Having large to giant breed dogs has been a "mixed blessing" for medication prices. Although veterinary medications cost many times what they would for a small dog, the fact that they're in the human weight range has sometimes meant they can take the generic human form of a drug which saves a fortune.

Of course I'll ask my vet, but I was wondering if anyone has already gotten the okay from their vet to use the human generic. I know the ratio of Amoxicillin to Clavulanate is different in the human generic, but I'm curious whether that matters too much since the dosage appears to be a wide range.

I would never want to endanger my dogs health unnecessarily (and my vet is very responsible, she would never let me do something crazy) , but I don't want to spend six times as much as I have to if it's the same drug. Sooney will inevitably get another UTI, if I could be prepared to ask my vet the right questions about this it would be awesome!

Thanks guys, any information is appreciated.
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 1:47pm PST 
See the strange thing about what you said (and this isn't relative to your question at all) is that the UTIs are from being bred a lot. I know many many mastiff breeders that swear you should never spay a female mastiff before their first heat because then they always get horrible UTIs. It just goes to show you how so many different schools of thought are out there! In your case its from overbreeding, in their case its not from having a heat... etc al.
Have you considered preventative care as oppose to treatment? I'm not sure if that would be cheaper than the meds... However I do know there are certain things your vet can prescribe, and I'm sure the generic brand would be one of them! I once had to get one of Bam's prescriptions from a real people pharmacy too! That was weird, "I'm here to pick up a prescription for Bam-Bam *my last name*" haha
Also... I'm not sure if your interested, but I swear by this lady except for the food...
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/feed_program_for_urin ary_problems.htm

Edited by author Sat Feb 14, '09 1:48pm PST

[notify]
S

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 2:31pm PST 
Hi Bam Bam, I'm actually not sure if the UTIs are directly related to having been bred. She was bred in filthy conditions with no medical care. I may have just made an assumption, because now I'm wondering if I'm putting words in my vet's mouth. I hope I didn't get it backwards.

She's only had a UTI about once a year since adopting her, so it's not a persistent problem, just something that seems to come up now and again. She's so healthy otherwise, and for a 9 or 10 yr old mastiff I'm loathe to change much about what we're doing since she's still sprightly, shiny coated and has barely added any more grey on her muzzle than she came with nearly five years ago (I know that the grey is just luck, but it contributes to the fact that she really doesn't look almost 10). I'm a big fan of the Solid Gold food we feed her, and think it's really contributed to keeping her so healthy, but I'll check out the site you referred me to.

I actually haven't heard the spaying thing about mastiffs, but I've never had a puppy, and we tend to have more contact with rescue than breeders. So I'm sure you get to see more things that have gone right, since we mostly see things that have gone wrong. I would imagine that responsible people like yourself researching and debating the merits of a three month difference in age to spay, is very different than the conversation that would follow if some guy asked about the best way to keep 50 mastiffs in filthy, confined, spaces, while constantly breeding 5 of the females and also not actually selling the puppies...you know, hypothetically speaking. wink

You're right, going to the human pharmacy for a dog's drugs can alternate between awkward and hilarious. Back before it was more common to order pet medications online, I got a concerned email verifying that the prescriptions I'd requested for my 7yr old with heart disease, cancer, arthritis, and pancreatitis were correct. They usually have places to put a note in these days like "Henry is a dog" (as opposed to the world's oldest 7 yr old boy).

Thanks for getting back to me!

Edited by author Sat Feb 14, '09 2:35pm PST

[notify]

Keiko- (4/8/98-12/5- /12)

Queen fuddy- duddy

Barked: Sat Feb 14, '09 2:48pm PST 
I haven't had to ask for a generic before, although I did go with a more generic heartworm last year (same ingredients as heartguard).

I have used amoxicillin before for Keiko, don't remember what for, that was quite awhile ago. Also have used baytril and the drug of choice for the last few "issues" has been clavamox.

However, my mom has gotten generic thru the pharmacy before, not only for their last dog, but for the horses as well. My parents can't afford the meds needed for one of the horses if she has to go thru the vet office. and their vet is perfectly fine with that and calls in the prescription.

First vet I worked for also had no problems with writing out scripts for a pharmacy if the owner asked about it and it was cheaper for them.

I say go for it. Worst thing they could to is deny you. But then you shouldn't be going to them if they're not looking in the best interest of the animal.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sun Feb 15, '09 6:27pm PST 
My vet had no problem with the pharmacy filling Sasha's muscle relaxants with the generic. They were made out for Sasha Canine, which took care of any questions. I don't think many human children have the middle name 'Canine.' The generic should be close enough to the brand name to be effective.
[notify]
S

Barked: Mon Feb 16, '09 10:25am PST 
Thanks guys! We've used human generics for a lot of medications since our dogs are so big, and our vet has always been great about it. I was just wondering specifically about clavamox because I'd never heard of it having a human equivalent until my girlfriend brought it home.

Thanks again!
[notify]