GO!

pumpkin seed to treat worms?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 5:56pm PST 
has anyone ever heard of this before? Or any other herbal treatment? THANKS
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 6:11pm PST 
I've heard of it. I wouldn't use it. Worms are such insideous, damaging things, that I would only use the best the vet has to offer, which for hooks and whips is Panacur C. Most varieties burrow into the inside of the dog's intestines - either large or small intestines, depending on the variety and cause a lot of problems. Moira has been parasite free for 4 or 5 months and I am still working on healing her skin issues. My dog is not going to get sicker or die while I try a 'natural' remedy. And this from the queen of natural remedies!
[notify]
Nabi

~~~Like a- butterfly in the- wind~~~

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 6:14pm PST 
I think seeing the bet and getting the medication for worms is the best way to go about it. I have nothing against wholistic natural remedies but some things have to be treated fast.
[notify]

Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 8:52pm PST 
There's scientific merit to using pumpkin seeds to treat certain kinds of worms. A few things to keep in mind if you're interested in using pumpkin seeds as a treatment are:

-- Make sure your chosen treatment is indicated. Intestinal worms like tapeworms and roundworms can be treated with pumpkin seeds.

ETA: I see from your other post you're talking about hookworms. I'm not sure if hookworms are affected by pumpkin seeds the way other intestinal worms are or not -- when in doubt DON'T try treatment without guidance.

-- Make sure you know how to prepare and dose the treatment. Pumpkin seeds must be ground, raw, and HULL-ON to be effective. You also have to administer some sort of laxative within a few hours. The ground pumpkin seeds are best mixed with molasses or honey.

-- I think it's important to know why you're using a treatment and how it works no matter whether it's pharmaceutical, natural, or otherwise. When it comes to worms and pumpkin seeds, chemical compounds in the pumpkin seeds paralyze the worms. The laxative that follows helps the body expel the worms.

-- Seek to understand why the problem came up in the first place and how to prevent re-occurrences.

Even when you're using "natural" remedies it's really important that you have guidance if you aren't familiar with the treatment. While pumpkin seeds are pretty harmless, other natural remedies can be quite dangerous if not used properly. It's probably best that you seek out a vet or other practitioner who can help you with methods and dosing of natural remedies and help you with any underlying health issues that may be behind an increased susceptibility to worm problems.

Hoping you find a way to say goodbye to those worms and keep them away for good!

Edited by author Mon Jan 12, '09 9:03pm PST

[notify]
Henry CGC

i love the snow

Barked: Tue Jan 13, '09 8:45am PST 
Thank you Meridian you are so helpful as always. And I do appreciate Moira and Nabi's advice too!!

I decided to just go with the vet this time, but I'll definately have to research pumpkin seed more after reading Meridian's post is a reminder you can't just do anything even pumpkin seeds without research and understanding.

I'm hating the deworming chemicals but I'd hate to not let them run in the woods too...however now that I think about it, the only reason I didn't put my dogs in agility or rallyo or something was because it's expensive but well these vet bills are getting to be just as much lol so maybe we can try agility instead of the woods every day.
[notify]
Donovan'sMajesticJet of Solace

Street sweeper!

Barked: Wed Jan 14, '09 7:45am PST 
Its not to treat worms, its to treat loose stoolsoops, I didnt see the seed part.

Edited by author Wed Jan 14, '09 7:46am PST

[notify]