GO!

response from Dogswell about treats made in China

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
Scruffy- (RIP)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 11:39am PST 
LOL, Tanuk!

This stinks, I would buy the Dogswell jerky treats because I thought they were made in the US and they were highly reccomended to us by the guy at our local feed store. confused
frown

Edited by author Mon Nov 28, '11 11:43am PST

[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 1:29pm PST 
As far as I know there has been no formal recall done, just the "caution" from the FDA.
Have I missed something?

I will say this has finally convinced the hubby to NOT buy more jerky treats.
He buys Dogswell and I throw them away pointing out the tiny "Made in China" on the package.
[notify]
Dunkin

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 4:48pm PST 
I know i look more for the made in
america o n the products i get for my dogs and for myself anymore. It is to bad that more things can not be made in the United States
[notify]

Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 8:09pm PST 
smile Tanuk!

I just wanted to say Blue Buffalo has nothing to do with this FDA warning. They make everything in the US, and they do not source anything from China. Their facebook page is full of people asking this question and them responding to it! There is some confusion because of their small recall last year.
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Mon Nov 28, '11 10:48pm PST 
unfortunately it is all about the financial bottom line for these big companies, they will source ingredients from China because they can get them cheaper, I am sure they hope people will not care where they source from. Since the big pet food recalls in '08 pet families are hyper alert for good reason.
I find it so decieving for companies to try to convince us that the findings about toxic ingredients is all just paranoia and we should just trust them. FORGET That!
I have started making my own chicken strips, I know where the ingredients come from, I know how they are made and I know when they were made, and it is less expensive and better than any chicken strip out there/
One of my personal clients just bought a bag of chicken strips from Costco, she has been giving them to her dogs (4 of them) for a few years, I have been warning her that they are from China, well, up to last week she had never had many problems. Within a few days of starting the new bag all 4 of her dogs were vomiting, had terrible diarrhea and stopped eating. Her Vet said they must have gotten into something toxic which blood work showed with elevated kidney and liver enzymes. Well, after a few days of IV fluids, medications and lots of TLC and big Vet bills they are back on track.
She returned the bags to Costco, who said they were getting huge amounts of returns on them and the new duck strips from Cadet which is made in China too.
Nothing made in China will ever be given to my pets, food, treats or toys. I guess I am a Made In The Fantastic USA snob here.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 11:14am PST 
My dog and baby girl a Irish Setter Brittany Spaniel died Monday morning at 2:30 am from eating dogswells chicken Breast treat. She was only four years old. The print on bottom of package, made in china I missed because of small print and bad eyes.. Please do not feed or give any of your pets chicken jerky treats made by any company, that gets them from china. Free Range chickens I bet. She was only 4 years.
[notify]
Frankie

Cheese? PLEASE!

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 2:17pm PST 
Can the guest above post how she/he knows the dog died from these treats...? I know it might be coincidence, or fact...?

Not defending Dogswell..I just gave the pup one tonight because he was being so good today! confused

Thanks...Will definitely read the small fine print on where treats are made...I try to stick with Made in USA, but, like others, I got the Dogswell because of recommendations...frown
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Thu Dec 1, '11 7:41pm PST 
I got the Waggin'Train pigskin rawhide filled with chicken liver for my pups because all over the label is red,white&blue and states it is a product of the U.S.A. then I read this thread,checked the bag under the UPC and found the little black letters hidden there saying" Made in China" The pups loved them but we threw the rest of the bag away.
Hubby feeling bad went and got a bag of something similar made by Hartz. Thankfully he hadn't opened them yet,we read the whole bag and they also say "Made in China for..." It was nearly impossible to find it was in a whole bunch of information after the ingredients and in lettering almost the same color as the bag. I'm thinking my next investment will be a food dehydrator to make my own snacks for the pups. The food dehydrator is alot cheaper than throwing bag after bag of treats away and I don't use most of the other home recipes because they use wheat flour or corn meal,they also have alot of recipes with soy flour,none of which are recommended for Akitas. Thanks to the OP for posting and thanks for everyones stories. For the poster who lost their pup you have our sympathies.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 7:57am PST 
If you’re looking for a REAL 'American Made' chicken treat, we started making our own Chicken Jerky after we ran across the FDA warning of 2008 about Chinese chicken treats making dogs sick or killing them. It turned into a cottage business and we now sell our TriPom Chews in 20 stores in the New England area. Our products are the only 'Maine Made', 'American Made', chicken jerky produced from whole, restaurant-quality chicken breasts containing NO Additives and NO Preservatives. We had to make them super wholesome as our 3 Pomeranians (our babies) taste test every batch for quality!
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Dec 13, '11 8:07am PST 
"We don't determine our source country for ingredients based solely on the country of origin; we find the best quality ingredient combined with the highest quality supplier and testing specifications and select them."

Yeah right...Dogswell, you decide on 'country of origin' by who sells you the chicken at the cheapest prices so you make the highest profits.

Sorry, but there is no way they can test every carton that they import from China. There are plenty of other treats that I can get that are made entirely in the USA...when I can't find those anymore, I'll make my own.

I do not trust any protein (or much else for that matter) that comes from China. They put poison (glycols and melamine) in toothpaste and baby formula for humans, why should their products made for dogs be expected to be any safer?

Anyone out there who buys their human-grade raw chicken from Walmart, and their processed chicken products like nuggets...be careful about country of origin. Walmart also sources a lot of their chicken from China.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4