GO!

Hypothyroidism and Seizures?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lucca

Mommy and- Daddy's Best Boy

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 2:15pm PST 
Well, we just got Lucca's test results back. He definitely has hypothyroidism. Our vet said that it is possible that the three seizures that he had were because of the thyroid. He has been seizure free for 7 days and seems to be back to normal. He also has a slight ear infection. We started him on the Levothyroxine today at 3pm. I read the epi-angels site and saw that there is a link between hypothyroid and seizures. Anyone have any experience with this?
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 2:28pm PST 
There is definitely a connection between thyroid function and seizures. In some cases, hypothyroidism can cause seizures, and in other cases, the effect of epilepsy medication in controlling seizures unrelated to thyroid function depends indirectly on the function of the thyroid. So, even if hypothyroidism isn't the direct cause of seizures, it is possible that a malfunctioning thyroid can effect the ability of anti-seizure medications to work properly.

In addition to being epileptic, Gio is slightly hypothyroid and is on a low dose of thyroxine as a result.

While Lucca's tests seemed to come back pretty conclusive, many dogs that are hypothyroid go undiagnosed because vets are using general ranges to diagnose the disease. Gio's regular vet (now his ex-vet) refused to acknowledge that he is slightly hypothyroid because his numbers were technically within range. But when compared to the age, size, breed, and sex of the dog, and also taking into account the epileptic status, the ranges change and Gio is then deemed hypothyroid. So while this point isn't very important for Lucca as it was obvious in the test results that he is hypothyroid, other owners should be aware of this fact and ask to see the actual test results for themselves. If the numbers are in the low end of the "acceptable range", seek a second opinion! Ideally, sending the results off to Dr. Dodds at HemoPet.org for interpretation. Dr. Dodds has done a lot of research into the link between epilepsy and thyroid function and is able to interpret thyroid results taking into consideration all of the factors that may cause the acceptable range to change.
[notify]
Lucca

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 4:56pm PST 
Thanks Gio! Did you send the results to Hemopet or did you actually send a blood sample? I did get a copy of the extesive blood work they did, specifically so I could send it. I'm not sure how to proceed, but I will check the website. The vet says that we still aren't sure if Lucca is epileptic, or if the seizures were a result of the thyroid.
[notify]

Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 7:25pm PST 
Since I am way up in Canada, I felt it would be easier and cheaper to get the test done here and then fax the results to HemoPet. There are forms on the HemoPet website that have price information and instructions on how to send things in. Dr. Dodds got to Gio's test right away and had information and an interpretation faxed back to me within a day or two. The thing to remember is that you should get a 6-panel thyroid test done, not just a 4-panel. I had to twist some arms and pull some teeth to get a 6-panel, but it was definitely worth it as it was able to provide Dr. Dodds with more vital information.

For the forms and pricing information, go to www.hemopet.org. Then at the top of the main page click "services". There are then links to printable forms for tet requests and how to send samples. If you are just faxing in the results, then you just fill out the forms with Lucca's information and request a consultation (one of the options on the form). Be sure to provide as much information as possible, even if it means writing up a separate sheet of paper with info. Be sure to include if he is kibble fed or raw fed, as well. As the diet makes a difference on the blood result ranges. I had a CBC and a chem panel done at the same time as Gio's thyroid test, so I sent those along as well for reference.
[notify]
Hudson

he's one in a- million!!!!

Barked: Fri Dec 26, '08 10:18pm PST 
lucca i'm glad that you got those tests done now you are on the road to recovery my friend!!hugwisheshugwisheshugwisheshugwisheshug
[notify]
zack

Master Zack

Barked: Sat Dec 27, '08 1:12pm PST 
Zack's vet did test for thyroid problems too,hoping to explain his seizures and why he was being such a little black creep(aggression). No easy answers for us--I just had to learn to love my little mysterious creeplaugh out loudYeah!!!! I bet you were never so glad to fail a test. Maybe a little pill will solve the
problem! Congratsparty
[notify]
Lucca

Barked: Sat Dec 27, '08 5:06pm PST 
Zack- were you diagnosed with hypothyroidism? My mom is desperately trying to find out the link between hypo and seizures. The vet claims that the seizures could be caused by the hypo. She is worried that we are only treating one problem.
[notify]
Victor

nothin like some- nubbin luvin

Barked: Sun Dec 28, '08 4:32pm PST 
for a while, i thought vic had thyroid problems b/c of his flaky skin so i got him tested. the test came out normal, but the vet said "it's a little low", so he was on soloxine for a while. he later started having very mild seizures (slight head bobbing, but he was completely aware, and if you said his name he would look at you. he also had no loss of muscle control, no spasms really...and he could snap out of it if you opened his kennel). so i took him back, and everyone was so sure it was a seizure, so then they prescribed phenobarb, which is horrible for the liver. i recently read that allergies can cause "head shaking", so now he gets 2 benadryl a night and i have not had a problem since.
this is a rare case probably, so if you do decide to put your dog on a seizure med, please ask the vet for some potassium bromide or sodium bromide. it is not harmful like the meds for seizures but can even control the grand mal type.
[notify]