GO!

Getting a puppy neutered affect their growth??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sparky

Hurricane Ike- Pound Puppy

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 10:49am PST 
I have a 3 month old lab mix puppy, and we adopted him from Operation Kindness the largest No Kill Shelter in North Texas. Here is their website:
http://www.operationkindness.org/
He was 8 weeks when we got him, they said they had to neuter him before we got to take him home. Some pups said that dogs need to be neutered at 6 months or older, but he was neutered at 8 weeks. Does this affect growth?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!wave
[notify]
♠- Mickey- ♠

One by one The- squirrels steal- my sanity

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 10:54am PST 
Hi, Sparky!

I was neutered at 8 weeks of age, and I'm kinda bigger than I think I should be. My feets are tiny, and my face is little, but the rest of me is the size of a typical ACD.

That being said, it could just be that I'm a mix breed, and that is the way I am supposed to be!shrug

I'm just glad it is done for both of us!way to go
Odin

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 11:59am PST 
Not sure in USA. But back to my home country, puppy / kitten has to be at least 6 months old to do the surgery.
[notify]

In Loving- Memory of- Chance

The dog who- didn't stand a- chance

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 12:15pm PST 
In the USA, some places will neuter at 8 weeks old. However, most vets I've spoken to won't do a pup unless he's at least 5 months old. However, I don't think it's illegal to do a pup or cat under that age. I'm not sure. Different states have different laws. I've never heard of neutering at 8 weeks- but, I imagine a shelter would do it since many shelters have a spay/neuter contract and many more will spay/neuter the pets themselves. (answering the above poster)

(answering the OP now) I've never heard of it affecting their growth. My family has usually waited until 6 months to get our pets fixed- but, my mom had a pomeranian fixed a bit younger. There was a reason- I can't remember why. She was always normal in size and her growth wasn't affected at all.

I wouldn't worry too much about it just yet. smile

I've heard that it might cause the male not to lift his leg to pee. However, my friend had a poodle that was neutered at 5 months and he lifted his leg. Chance isn't neutered and he squats. I think that's a myth, too. Some dogs just never lift their legs. It's personality not neutering, I think.

Might I add that Lilo (our FEMALE APBT) lifts her leg to mark. laugh out loud
[notify]
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 2:44pm PST 
It CAN affect growth, to answer that question. I'm required by contract to wait until Bam-Bam is at least 1 year old to neuter him, and allowed to wait until 2 if I so please so that he can reach his full growing potential.
[notify]
Oliver PAWS

<3s tennis- balls, peanut- butter, & Fling

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 3:31pm PST 
It doesn't matter, they just have to be a certain weight. It doesn't affect the growth.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 4:15pm PST 
With large and giant breeds, it can affect affect the growth and early altering has been linked to other problems. It is being advised more and more not to alter a large or giant breed before maturity (2 years). My vet even waited until his mastiff was 2 to alter him.
[notify]
Brodie Bear

The Furry- Bull-Dozer

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 6:17pm PST 
I am a bulldog and got neutered at around 5 mos. b/c I developed a cherry eye at 10 weeks old...and so the vet held off til my lungs developed more and they went ahead and fixed it and neutered me at the same time.....
i am a bit taller and not as stocky as some bulldogs and some people say that may be why but some say it has nothing to do w/it
[notify]
Bobby

Barked: Wed Dec 24, '08 8:17pm PST 
YES it does affect growth.

Growth plate closures are set off by hormones. Dogs neutered early tend to grow taller, since the plates don't close when they would normally.

You can do a Google search for Veterinary reports and sources.
[notify]
Tilly

Barked: Thu Dec 25, '08 8:44am PST 
I can understand rescues wanting to neuter all dogs but by neutering so early they are causing more problems because dogs are coming back when older.

As well as growing taller than they should, a dog that is neutered early never matures and stays a puppy, many owners can't cope with this and eventually send the dog back which isn't fair on the dog either.

I won't have any of my dogs neutered before a year old or after their first season with a bitch, but to neuter at 8 weeks old to me is abuse and no rescue or vet should do it. There are bitches that never come into season so they would be going through the operation unnessararily.

This is interesting reading www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongTermHealthEffectsOfSpayNeuterInDogs.pdf
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2