GO!

Christmas tree pine needles?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 3:11pm PST 
I'm a bit worried about the Christmas tree we just brought. I'm afraid of Murphy eating some pine needles because he loves some of the twigs that fell off when we first got it set up. Should I keep him confined to my room when we go out or are pine needles not too big of a worry?confused
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 8:09pm PST 
thinkingshrug
[notify]
Jovi, NPC,- CEGE

Momma's boy and- proud of it!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 14, '08 8:13pm PST 
I know nothing about it shrug
[notify]

Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 7:09am PST 
Christmas trees are edible. The needles on pines, spruces and firs are actually a good source of Vitamin C and the pine cones are a good source of nutrition. So forget about the orange juice and go munch on your Christmas tree.

So eat that tree!

I copied this from another post.

way to go
[notify]
Scooter,- PAWS

Power of the Paw- for those who- need it

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 7:29am PST 
Murph, I did a google search and saw your thread there BOL! Here's what I found:

Keeping Your Dog Safe at Christmas

No eating pine needles little man! wink
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 7:34am PST 
I have seen dogs pass whole, long fur needles. They don't look very comfortable doing it, but none have ever come to any harm from it. I'm sure there are cases of a dog who ate an excessive amount of pine needles getting a blockage, and some of sharp needles doing internal damage... I'd certainly not encourage eating pine needles, and I would keep my eye out for symptoms of a problem (painful abdomen, vomiting, straining to or not defecating, loss of appetite, etc), but I wouldn't be in a panic over it.
[notify]
Baron

Amen. Bow Wow.- Says it all.

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 8:27am PST 
I really don't think it would be good for your pup to eat pine needels....
But i would try to put a baby gate. or even if u have a large box that you can make a berrier to go around your tree to keep him from the needels..or the tree.

i myself have a petgate/babygate that is six peices (like a puppy playpen around mine... But mine is for the protection of the dog as well as the toddelers in my house.
before i had the playpen.. I used cardboard ducktaped together, so babies wouldn't roll under the tree.

Just an idea good luck.
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Mon Dec 15, '08 8:44am PST 
My ma -in-law had a problem with her dog getting a pine needle stuck in his paw. She always had an artificial tree after that. My quigley ate some little bits of tinsel last year, made for some interesting coluored poop. Have to keep him away from the tree baubles, well they are balls and fun to play with according to him!!dog
[notify]