GO!

lump under arm?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Tucker

That food is for- me, right?

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 12:29pm PST 
I was just petting Tucker and felt a small hard lump in one of his front armpits. I checked both carefully to make sure it wasn't a normal bump that was on both sides, and it appears to only be on one side. My mind immediately went to tumor, so I'm freaking out a little, but I know that it could be something else, too.

I was planning on taking Tucker to the vet in a couple of days anyway for a comprehensive exam, so my plan at the moment is to let his rescue know and ask the vet to check him out when I bring him in. But if anyone has had a similar experience or knows anything about underarm lumps I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
[notify]
Makiko

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 2:04pm PST 
More than likely this is just a benign tumor or some sort of cyst. How old is he? Can you move the bump around or does it feel attached? If you are able to move it then it is less serious than if it is attached. Definitely have the vet check it out. More than likely they will tell you to keep an eye on it to watch for rapid growth, or give you the option to have it removed which means a simple routine surgery! Don't worry, the vet will check it out and let you know! I had a similar bump that came up on my dog Maki and it turned out to be a cyst that went away in a couple of weeks. Good luck and I hope it turns out to be nothing!!!

PS. There is also a lymph-node that is located toward the back of the armpit that could be swollen due to infection. However, if this is more toward the front then it probably isn't that!
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 3:03pm PST 
Lumps can mean a million and one things, ranging from the devastating to the insignificant, so it's really good that you're getting him checked out. I would have the vet aspirate it just to be 100% positive of what it is (I've heard of vets diagnosing lumps as fatty lipomas when they turned out to be mast cell tumors).

Hope it's nothing!
[notify]

Tucker

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 3:14pm PST 
Tucker is probably 5-6 years old. I'm hoping it's nothing serious and I'm definitely going to get it checked out - it seems to be pretty deep into his armpit, which I think is why I never noticed it before, as I pet him all over on a pretty regular basis. If he hadn't been rolled over with his tummy in the air while I was petting him today I probably still wouldn't have noticed it. It doesn't seem super-moveable, but it's hard to tell where it is - it may have moved some when I was feeling around on it. I'm really hoping it's nothing serious, as the rescue I'm fostering for is very small and I'm not sure what kind of resources they'd have for this. Of course I will do everything I can to help him, even if it means going into a lot more credit card debt, but it definitely won't be easy financially :/ Or emotionally, as he's been my foster for months and I really love him. So fingers crossed for something non-serious!
[notify]
♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 4:18pm PST 
My st. bernard had several lumps on him, which developed when he was around 6 or so. They were checked out, and determined to be nothing to worry about.

Definitely have the vet take a look, but don't get too worried.
[notify]
Tucker

Barked: Mon Dec 1, '08 4:50pm PST 
Thanks Ruger! I'm sick at home today so it's been hard not to just sit here and worry smile But it's good to know that sometimes it really can be nothing!
[notify]
Tucker

Barked: Thu Dec 4, '08 7:43pm PST 
Tucker went to the vet today and they aspirated the lump - luckily, it turned out it's a sebaceous cyst and not anything more serious. We're just going to keep an eye on it for now and when he gets a dental fairly soon they may just go ahead and get rid of it. Thanks again for your help and advice!
[notify]