GO!

How much does it cost to remove a dog's tooth?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Karl Pierre

Oh my. Where did- all this hair- come from

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 12:11pm PST 
That is quite the deal. Karl just had that same tooth taken out at the end of October (the 29th to be exact) and it cost 680 and change. That was with the blood work, anesthesia, pain meds, antibiotics (to prevent infection I think), and the dissolving sutures. Cost can vary from area to area and I know that we are usually on the high end of things (lucky us), but that number still sounds really low.
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 12:38pm PST 
That may be for the extraction only. For Sophie, they told me the extraction itself was $135 (I think)....then they have to add on all the other stuff. way to go
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 12:44pm PST 
Yeah, make sure you find out the full cost if that's just for the extraction.

Cost will also vary by area, of course... sometimes by hundreds of dollars.

Kolbe just had 2 teeth removed - one was the front canine that Guster so graciously cracked in half for her roughhousing, and the other one was a back molar that was kind of funky since we adopted her. They were both more complicated teeth to remove, the front one being borderline invasive. The total was $568.00 - that included extraction of 2 teeth, anesthesia, antibiotic, so on and so forth.
[notify]

Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 1:11pm PST 
Another affordable option to consider is the nearest University Veterinary Teaching Hospital. High quality service, people with a genuine interest in the work (it's not just a paycheck or a business), lots of staff, and low cost. They are very clear in explaining the whole Vet Teaching Hospital outlook , process, and follow through.
[notify]
H

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 2:20pm PST 
I won't even bring up how much I've paid before for dental surgery but we have very large dogs (henry was petite by comparison) which makes a big price difference.

The advice to verify that the anaesthesia is included is great advice.
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 2:28pm PST 
Well, awhile back I posted about this. Allee and Bama both broke teeth from chewing on hooves ...i have warned everyone..not to give hooves, real bones, or really hard plastic toys.
Bama had to get two removed and Allee one.
The cost for putting 2 dogs to sleep, pain meds and iv for both, and
removing 3 teeth total was 635.00
It was like 75-100 per tooth, the around 90 to put each dog to sleep, 55 for each iv and 20 for each pain meds...etc.

http://www.dogster.com/forums/Dog_Health/thread/56397 6

Edited by author Wed Nov 26, '08 2:30pm PST

[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 4:16pm PST 
Ah, hmm... Guess we'll have to talk to the vet some more. I just hope it's not over $200. *prays* Nighque's teeth are sparkling white. She has beautiful teeth (she's about 3 1/2 years old). Except for that broken tooth, of course. It's got a greyish tint to it...
[notify]
Abbie

woof

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:06pm PST 
The greyish tint to the tooth is called Pulpitis. It is from bleeding into the dentin layer under the enamel of the tooth. It can occur from any trauma, with or without a broken tooth. It is very painful and requires the tooth to be extracted or root canal treatment. Don't wait...that tooth could abcess and that would cost alot more to treat. If you decide to have the tooth extracted, make sure post-extraction xrays are taken to insure the entire root is removed. If part of the root is left behind....it will come back to haunt you later requiring additional dental work.

Dr. Jaffe
[notify]
Bama AKA- "Buddybear'

'Just as cuddly- as i look!'

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 2:32am PST 
maybe u can get it for around 200.00. I had to use my carecredit as well b/c I didn't have the money for it.
Mine was over 600.00 for both dogs but like I said I paid extra 55.00 per dog for the IV that I didn't have to do...and then the cost for their visit prior to the removal was in the cost as well...and another 100 for b/c Bama has two needing removed whereas Allee only had one..so maybe u will be ok.
Good luck.
[notify]
Abbie

woof

Barked: Thu Nov 27, '08 6:34am PST 
I would not recommend anesthesia without an IV catheter. Blood pressure drops during anesthesia and IV fluids are used to maintain normal blood pressure. If your vet doesn't monitor blood pressure when he does anesthesia, then it probably doesn't matter to him, but...if the heart rate goes too low...having an IV catheter in place makes it easier to give emergency drugs. If the blood pressure drops and IV drugs are needed....that is not the time for your vet, or vet tech to try to find a vein. If there are no problems it is easy to say it wasn't needed...but if there are problems.....

Dr. Jaffe
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3