GO!

How much does it cost to remove a dog's tooth?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 7:25pm PST 
*gigantic sigh* Uuuuuggghhhhhh....

Okay. So, I had bought 3 big basted bones from a guy at a dog show a while back. I gave the first two to Nighque. Before I knew it, she had eaten the WHOLE thing with only a tiny piece of bone left (which I threw away). I thought I'd just let her chew the softer pieces off and lick the basted stuff off and then throw it away. I knew there was a possibility of her breaking a tooth, but of course, I thought, naaah, that won't happen. I had checked her teeth after the second one and they were all fine. I didn't want to waste 3 measly bucks and just throw the last one away, *kicks self repeatedly* so I gave it to her and I was never going to buy any other things that could possibly break a dogs tooth. So she ate the last one, and I didn't think to check her teeth right away. So here it is about a month since she's had that last bone and we just got her spayed yesterday. So I'm petting her and decide to check her teeth. Well, woopdeedoo, how dumb am I? Her top left molar is broken badly. There is a crack on both the left and right sides of the tooth that travel from the bottom of the tooth all the way up to the gum and the middle pulp is all exposed and pretty much black. Dx I know, I know, I'm pissed at myself. PLEASE don't lecture me or tell me that I shouldn't have fed her the bones. I know that. And I feel stupid. Because I am. And now I've got to learn a lesson the hard way. And it was the last one that did it. Ugh... I hate myself right now. I'm 17 and my mom owes me a couple hundred bucks. And I've got $40 on hand. So there goes my money. I've looked it up but couldn't find anything. So I was wondering how much it would cost to remove the tooth. I know it differs from place to place, but can anyone tell me generally how much it might cost? Can't call the vet 'til tomorrow, and I'm impatient.

Again, I know, I'm stupid. I really need to to start listening to that little voice in my head when it tells me "DON'T DO IT!". Gah, I'm so aggravated. cry

Edited by author Tue Nov 25, '08 8:27pm PST

[notify]
Chompers, PhD

Where the- rabbits?!?

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 7:57pm PST 
Well, unfortunately it sounds like it's the carnassial tooth that's broken (the big molar toward the back of the mouth...kind of has a big middle point with two smaller points on each side of the big one)? If this is the tooth, it's one of the most difficult to extract (because it has 3 roots!). This will increase the amount of time under anesthesia, hence increase the cost of the extraction (in most cases).

The extraction of such a tooth could cost you anwhere from $150 - $600. It depends on several factors. 1. Which tooth is it? If it's the carnassial, it's probably going to be more costly! If it's a premolar, it shouldn't cost nearly as much. 2. Every vet is different, and every vet provides a different quality of service. Request an estimate for the procedure. It will most likely include preanesthetic blood work, anesthesia, monitoring, surgical extraction, possible dental x-rays, pain management, and possible antibiotics. 3. How bad is the fracture? Does it penetrate/affect the roots? If not, perhaps a crown amputation (cutting the exposed part of the tooth only, leaving the roots in place) would suffice. This is highly dependent on the condition of the tooth and its roots.

Unfortunately, you won't know how much $$$ to expect until you get an estimate from your vet. If your not happy with his/her estimate, seek a second opinion (from a Vet that specializes in K9 dentistry).

Good luck to you,
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 8:11pm PST 
Aw, crap... Yeah, it's that one. The middle point is missing, though. It's broken off. The pulp is exposed, it's black (the pulp, not the whole tooth). And like I said, there's two vertical crack on either side running from the bottom up to the gum line. It looks pretty bad. I don't think we could save it if we wanted to (had the money for a root canal, that is). A few hundred I could deal with. I was just hoping it isn't like... a thousand or something. =/
[notify]

Fred

Seriously, just- leave me alone.

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 9:28pm PST 
My vet is pretty awesome, but he only charges one fee for the extraction of $75 for tooth extraction- no matter which tooth or if several had to be done (which Fred had to have several removed last time...). The real expense may be the general anesthesia in order to have the tooth extracted- I can't believe the vet didn't do a dental exam while they did the spay! Our vet always does a dental exam and in Xena's case, did a very low cost cleaning... (only had to pay about $50 extra for the cleaning since she was already under...) *Sighs* Oh well, but I would expect it to cost from 2-300. I have heard some horror stories about outrageous bills, but IMHO, I would call around if you get a quote of over a few hundred... also, make sure they don't do all the bloodwork and stuff again, if you just had a spay, there's no reason to do all that again.

Also, if you can't afford to have it removed right now, they may be able to do a temporary fix... Basically they put a type of mold over it until you can actually have it repaired... may not be an option if it's cracked all the way to the gum, but wouldn't hurt to ask if you're currently short on cash...
[notify]
Abbie

woof

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:11am PST 
I don't recommend a temporary fix. You can trap bacteria into the root canal and increase the chance of a tooth root abcess. You really need to get that tooth out soon...not because of infection but because of the intense pain it is causing.
If your vet takes CareCredit...check into it. You can learn about it at www.carecredit.com
This is a great way to get it done now and pay for it later. 6 months no interest.

Dr. Jaffe
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 7:21am PST 
Sophie had to have a molar removed a few months ago. I think the whole thing (cleaning all the teeth, one extraction, pre-op blood work, post-op meds, etc) was around $400.
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 8:25am PST 
Thanks, guys! I'm glad to know it should only be in the few hundreds range (hopefully). Yeah, I wouldn't want to do a temporary fix. Thanks for letting me know about carecredit. I'll let my mom know and see what she thinks. Oh, that reminds me, we've got to call the vet today and see if he can give us an estimate.
[notify]
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 8:41am PST 
Woot! Mum called the vet and he said to pull it, it would be about 60-70 or so depending on the tooth. And a $35 walk in fee (which I find odd because we were never charged a walk in fee all the times we've brought our dogs there). I wonder if that includes the anesthesia or not? Mum said we'll talk about it more later (she's busy at work right now). smile
[notify]
H

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 10:30am PST 
Wow, that's awesome, I've never heard of it being so cheap!

I just wanted to say don't beat yourself up, you've learned your lesson smile Also, if the tooth was already in as bad shape as it sounds like, the bone was probably just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I hope all goes well, and I'm so glad to hear you're able to get it done affordably.
[notify]
Abbie

woof

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 11:55am PST 
I am kinda worried about such a low cost to remove such a large tooth. Three roots will take time if done right. Suturing the gum tissue closed over the open socket. Antibiotics. Pain medication, Anesthesia, bloodwork before anesthesia to make sure anesthesia will be safe......scary.

Dr. Jaffe
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3