GO!

cortisone injections

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Bailey

Princess Bailey

Barked: Wed Nov 19, '08 6:17pm PST 
I have had the itches really bad!! I have even itched and licked my underarm raw! cry Anyway, Mom took me to the doctor and he said I had allergies to something. (My human brother took me and he does not ask enough questions)

They gave me a cortisone shot and sent me on my way. Does anyone know how long it takes for this to kick in. He took me this morning and I am still scratching this evening.

Thanks
[notify]
Abbie

woof

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 11:48am PST 
It depends on the specific type of cortisone given. Most would start working in 6-8 hours after injection. Some types of cortisone will last several hours, some several days and there are some that will last months...but those come with their own side effects. Cortisone will only relieve itch from allergies of insect bite, atopy or contact allergy (still need to wash off whatever the contact irritant was). Food allergies will not respond to cortisone.

Dr. Jaffe
[notify]
Bailey

Princess Bailey

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 7:10pm PST 
Will the cortisone injection cause frequent urination?
[notify]

Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 7:16pm PST 
I would think so bacause oral steroids cause increased urination.

I had a dog with similar problems - turned out to be a yeast infection. Solaray Yeast Cleanse and acidophilus took care of it. I used human athlete's foot cream on the lesions. Healed them in 36 hours.
[notify]
Bailey

Princess Bailey

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 7:26pm PST 
Thanks!! That makes me feel better!

I normally don't have accidents in the house, but since the shot I have. You wouldn't have any idea how long that will go on would you?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Nov 20, '08 8:27pm PST 
No, I don't. My dogs never had a shot, just pills. No accidents, but needed to go out more often and urinated larger amounts.
[notify]
Abbie

woof

Barked: Fri Nov 21, '08 8:16am PST 
The increased urination is because of drinking more water. Cortisone does that. How long it will last is based on which cortisone drug was given. Shots last longer than pills. If you call the vet and ask what the name of the drug was, I can tell you how long it lasts in the body.

Dr. Jaffe
[notify]