GO!

Rabies shot; how young is too young?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Precious

I'm not small!- I'm FUN-SIZED!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:14pm PST 
Well, I was just wondering...

... Because, last time we got a young dog their rabies shot (Sakura) the vet we had refused to do it before six months. We expected this, anyway, as that's the way it's always been. We get their puppy shots then at six months, we get a rabies. And the shots that follow those ones depends on location and which canine viruses are severe in said location. (for instance- parvo goes around like the flu here and even being a day late for parvo shots could be deadly) Cinnamon, also, had her first rabies at six months. And, when my mom bred pomeranians- they, too, had their first rabies at... six months.

However, when we asked what Meepster and Precious would have to get at their next appointment; we heard rabies thrown in the bunch and all of us went like "Whaa...?" They'll only be about 3 1/2 months at their next appointment... so, that doesn't seem right.

They told us that it had changed and dogs are required to have a rabies shot at 3 months now. Still doesn't seem right. It seems a bit young. I mean, I have seen dogs that are five years old get miserable after their rabies shot. A 3 month old pup going through that? Uh uh. It doesn't seem right. However, I'm not sure if they changed it or not...

Does anyone here know?

And, what do you guys think? Is 3 months too young? Or should they be fine?
[notify]
Jenny- ☺

Rabbit is good,- Rabbit is- wise...

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:18pm PST 
I was told by our Volunteer Rescue Coordinator, if they have their permanent front teeth, they can have their vaccination.

That would be about 3 months old.

I will wait until 6 months for Jenny, though.
Precious

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 4:22pm PST 
Okay.

Just wanted to make sure.

Of course, I'm not sure I'm comfortable doing three months... ultimately, the decision is my moms and my sisters, though.
[notify]

Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 5:23pm PST 
Since Bingley's my first pup, I can't say for sure, other than I was told 16 weeks is the typical age for rabies shots. And the couple times I took him to Petsmart for grooming, they said when he turns 5 months old they would need proof of a rabies vaccine, or they wouldn't groom him anymore. My new groomer didn't ask, but by then he had his vaccine and is wearing the tag on his collar, so that may be why. I still think it's up to you, when you feel right about having them vaccinated, but seems that 16 weeks and over is the norm.
[notify]
Toby

Got food?

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 5:52pm PST 
its 4 months here
[notify]
Mia

5/12/08-10/10/10-

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 9:05pm PST 
I know here (san diego) it has to be done by/around 4 months of age. Some places it's 6 months. Sadly it seems to be dependent on state/county laws.
[notify]
Micky

My middle name- is NOT mouse!

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 9:20pm PST 
Micky just had his rabies, and he's about four and a half months. He was supposed to get it closer the actual four months, because over here it has to be done by then. But he reacts strangely to shots sometimes, so with the vets reccomondation(and because I preferred it)we waited a few weeks after his last set of vaccinations instead of doing it all together, so as not to overload him....

But yea, I actually thought it was six months too, but they told me four months...*shrugs* I wish we could have waited, simply because his unpredictable reactions to shots and such, but he actually didn't react at all to the rabies, thankfully, so I guess it was okay.

Edited by author Fri Nov 14, '08 9:22pm PST

[notify]
Sparky

Hurricane Ike- Pound Puppy

Barked: Fri Nov 14, '08 9:32pm PST 
Are you sure? Because my puppy is 8 weeks old and is already vaccinated for Rabies and has been neutered.
[notify]
Teddy

tennis ball- destroyer

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 7:25am PST 
Mmm in Maine they were trying to change the law to 3 months instead of 6, but I sent some letters, as did other people, against it. Pretty sure it's staying at 6 months. I don't think any dog should get their rabies before 6 months.
[notify]
Precious

Barked: Sat Nov 15, '08 6:42pm PST 
Thanks everyone.

I'm getting that about 16 weeks in the most common? But that it's usually between 4-6 months? I know that in the past, here the law said 6 months. I guess they changed it somewhere between Sakura and Meepster and Precious.

I agree with you, though, Teddy. Unless rabies is REALLY serious in your area- before 6 months just seems too young.

And neutered at 8 weeks? I didn't think that was possible. thinking I wouldn't trust a vet that gave an 8 week old a rabies shot, though.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2