GO!

Hydrogen Peroxide and Hot Spots

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 5:33pm PST 
We tend to battle hot spots periodically thanks to allergy issues. I know Hydrogen Peroxide will help speed up healing as it kills the bacteria, but why isn't it used routinely with them? shrug
I know alcohol would burn like fire, but would hydrogen Peroxide? I got very frustrated with Harley's and finally tried spraying some on it. He didn't react in pain, but he never does. I mean poor boy had a skin tag that we honestly thought was a stubborn tick a couple years ago. He laid there and let us try to get it off for quite a while before we realized what it was. He never reacted like he was in pain. Now, this mommy held him and cried once I realized what it was. I knew it had to hurt him, and I can't stand the thought of hurting him.

Anyone used Hydrogen Peroxide on a hot spot? Anyone have any ideas?
[notify]
Von

Von, The Great- Gecko Chaser

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 8:11pm PST 
I've used it on Von hot spots then I let it dry and use spray on benadryl .
[notify]
Holly

Griblets

Barked: Tue Nov 11, '08 8:42pm PST 
My vet has strongly recommended NOT using it on sores on dogs. I use Tea Tree Oil. heals them up super fast
[notify]

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 4:15am PST 
Holly,

Why does your vet recommend not using it on sores? I'm curious as to the reasoning.
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 5:44am PST 
Hydrogen peroxide creates major scar tissue by actively killing both the good and the bad, that's why they tell you specifically not to use it on new piercings. wink It also can hurt quite a bit on an open wound.

Baloo's never had a hot spot, but on other random scrapes and injuries I've found using this powder works unbelieveably well, and it says it's for hot spots too:
http://www.urbancarnivore.com/uc_online/moreinfo.cfm?Product_I D=29

Even if you can't find that anywhere, there are lots of products like it (even goldbond powder) but I'd also encourage you to continue to try and get the allergies under control so that you won't have to deal with hot spots anymore. wink

Edited by author Wed Nov 12, '08 5:45am PST

[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 6:26am PST 
In 1970 one of my daughters had a serious injury to her toe - no, the whole top of her foot. Our doctor told me to never put hydrogen peroxide on it. That it eats healthy tissue. I am amazed that people are still using it for soaks. From that time forward I used it for quick clean ups, but anything needing soaking was done in soapy water. Antibacterial soap if serious, non antibacterial if minor.

For my son's Golden's hot spots, I used tea tree oil cut with almond oil. He only had them one year. He was an allergy baby, too. For imflamed mosquito and tick bites, (he was a hunter), I used antibiotic cream mixed with cortisone cream. I just read of something for hot spots. If I remember what or where, I'll let you know. My furgirls don't have them, so I didn't mark it.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 10:29am PST 
I found what a read about at UrbanCarnivore.com
I have no idea if it is any good. I only know most of their products look like some thought went into them. My Golden grandson went to the great pond in the sky and is retrieving geese to his heart's content, so I've no one to try it on.

From the website;
Miracle Dust
Miracle Dust is an extraordinary drying and packing agent for hot spots. It can also be used as a dressing powder on wounds, cuts and abrasions. Miracle Dust stops bleeding fast making it a valuable blood-stop powder for nail trimming.

Miracle Dust can be applied freely over the entire surface area of the wound or hot spot. Use Miracle Dust with or without bandages. Repeat application as often as necessary to wounds. Clipping coat around hot spots is not necessary - keep packed with Miracle Dust until hot spot is dry and healing.

Ingredients: Calcium Hydroxide, Copper Sulfate, Activated Charcoal, Potassium Alum, Tannic Acid, Flowers of Sulfur, Iodoform.
[notify]
Nakita Mae- Angel Girl

Live to dock- dive!

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 11:49am PST 
Hydrogen peroxide does destroy healthy tissue along with getting rid of the "bad" tissue. We never use it at the clinic, except to get blood out of our scrubs. Hot spots can be infected so easily. Has your vet seen your pup? You may have to put your pup on antibiotics for a few weeks to help heal the area. Depending on what is going on your vet may rx some type of scrub and ointment.
Have you clipped the hair around the hot spot? Not having the hair lying on the hot spot can cause moisture which causes yeast problems.
Keeping the area clean and dry will certainly help. Finding out what is causing the itching/licking would help to keep it from coming back.
[notify]
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 1:41pm PST 
Harley's daycare is run by the vet and he has seen him more than once for this hotspot. He has had the area shaved, 2 vetalog shots (a week apart and they actually caused another issue), constant neopredif powder appicaltions, and is not now on Baytril. This morning, the vet told me to spray hydrogen peroxide (so, it's in a thin layer across the top, not soaking the area), let it bubble up and then dry it off and apply the neopredif. I will be careful with it as I don't want scar tissue.

Harley's allergies are actually pretty well under control. He is on a strict diet for the food allergies and we keep the house very very clean for the environmental. We live on a farm, so there is no keeping him from all 19 of his environmental allergies, but none of them are severe. The only thing we haven't done is put him on allergy shots. This year he has only had 2 hotspots, which is a MAJOR improvement from the summer before when he kept one for almost 3 months.
[notify]
Oscar- (Wilde)- Martin- 1994-2007

hey- get me a- puperoni while- you're up

Barked: Wed Nov 12, '08 1:46pm PST 
I posted this on another page- you may want to try it, does not burn as it is oily

oil of oregano. I have used this remedy for hot spots, insect bites, any skin-type ailment. sounds weird, but works. you can get it at the health or herb shop. the capsules look very much like vitamin e. just poke the capsule and squeeze out the oil ( smells like a pizza!) it does not burn at all. of course, sometimes it is used in combination with a vet cream or antibiotic.

also for humans- my husband went to the dr with the dreaded toenail fungus, tried every otc and prescription remedy. it went away with a couple weeks daily oil of oregano applications. I also read somewhere vets were using it on those really nasty brown recluse spider bites on animals. who knows, might work?

you can google it and there is a lot of info

hope this helps someone. Oscar used to have that sensitive bichon skin and would scratch it til raw sometimes, the oregano seemed to help
[notify]