GO!

Holding her tail down

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 5:59am PST 
Hershey has an Akita tail (she's an Akita mix) that curls up. I noticed this morning that she's holding it down and straight. She's not tucking it like she's scared or anything like that, just holding it straight down.

About 6 years ago, she was doing this and, being a new mommy, I panicked thinking it was something horribly wrong. But, I took her in and it was her anal glands. The vet expressed them and all was good. We haven't had to have them expressed since then.

She's at daycare today and the vet is going to take a look at her. Do you think it's probably the anal glads or is there something else to look at? There is a place a few inches from the base of her tail where it looks like her hair is rougher and thinner than the rest of it. It almost makes a "band" around her tail. Anyone have a clue on that?
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 9:45am PST 
Here is a bump for you, hope somebody knows.

My tail hangs down as if it is tacked to my butt when I don't feel well. Totally floppy! Mom is happy when it floats or even better I am wagging it.

Dogs can get 'dead tail'. I 'think' it is if a particular bit of the spine gets too tired. And I think it goes away once the area is rested. Try touching along each side of the spine to see if you get any twitching, that could be the sore spot. Now I don't know what to do if you FIND a sore spot, just may help figure out the problem.

I have that rough hair on my tail too. I think there used to be a gland there in wild dogs. Many agouti colored [ticked or sable] dogs have markings in that spot.
[notify]
Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 1:24pm PST 
The vet called. Her anal glads were 80 - 90 % engorged. He expressed them and she should be holding her tail back up normal soon. He left a message so I haven't actually talked to him. I will when I pick them up to see about the tail rough spot. It's new, so I am a little concerned.
[notify]