GO!

Ear Wax??

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 4:55pm PST 
I have never had a dog whose ears needed cleaning until Moira came into my life in July. She is Border Collie and Beagle, so he her ears stand up very slightly, then hang down like a a Beagle's, but not nearly as long. When the vet examined her when I got her, he said her ears were very dirty, but nothing nasty in them. I got them clean, but they don't stay clean.

We walk a lot, part of it in the woods and in the park with old vegetation. Moira is very close to the ground when walking . That little Beagle nose is very busy. She and Lily also kick up some dirt playing outside where they have torn up the grass with their feet, but that is mostly black dirt.

Enough background - my question is; What color is dog's ear wax? What I am cleaning out is a dark reddish brown. No blood - it doesn't stain a wet cotton ball. No 'coffee grounds' like a mite description. Just dark wax and dirt. I can have the Dr check if needed, but if this is normal for a dog who gets dirty ears, I'd like to know.

Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by author Sun Oct 19, '08 4:56pm PST

[notify]
Wolfgang RIP 11/28/2011

Life is grand!

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 5:04pm PST 
Hi Moira! We're sorry you have ear problems, they are not much fun, huh?

Did the vet check for a yeast infection? Do your ears stink? My ears hang down & I am a breed that is prone to having ear problems. The vet gave me some medicine that helped, but Mom still has to be extra diligent because they are prone to wax buildup, too!

My Chihuahua siblings don't ever have any ear problems, but theirs get lots of air flow, too! My vet suggested to flip my ear flap back whenever I am resting or sleeping, to allow for air flow. I may look funny, but Mom swears it helps!

Best of luck & let us know how it goes, OK?

hughughughughughughug

Wolfgang & furmily
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 5:13pm PST 
Moira doesn't have ear problems, just dirt. I just need to know if dark reddish brown is a normal color for dog's ear wax.

She may have problems by tomorrow. I spilled too much cleaner in one of her ears when I was giving her a bath. She is digging at it and shaking her head. I'll keep an eye on it.

I am very familiar with ear infections because of my son's Golden, but I never cleaned them, he did. My Sibes and Lily have ears that don't need cleaning. I couldn't clean Lily's if I wanted to. If you touch one it rolls up into a little Geyhound rose ear and I can't see in it.

thank you for the response.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 5:41pm PST 
I have the two dogs. One is red/yellow with brown nose and skin pigment around the eyes. The other is black with black pigment. Normal dog colors, right? Well, the brown pigmented dog has dark yellow ear wax and the black pigmented dog has dark brown ear wax. I suspect dogs can have different colored ear waxes. The black dog isn't much for digging, it definitely isn't dirt in there. He also has black pigment to the inside of his ears so they always look dirty.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 6:10pm PST 
Maxwell, you look like a BC mix, too. Maybe I'll just assume that black BCs have dark ear wax and not worry unless she seems to have any discomfort. Like I said, I know what to watch for having lived with a Golden.

Thank you, Moira Mae (my Scottish name for my Scottish breed)
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 7:44pm PST 
Dogs shouldn't have dirty ears, sounds like yeasty build-up to me. That can lead to infection quickly. wink

Baloo has yeast issues, and I had to cut the carbs out of his diet almost altogether and it cleared right up. He never gets that reddish-brown stuff at all anymore. big grin
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Sun Oct 19, '08 7:47pm PST 
Also wanted to add, I haven't cleaned his ears since April, even though he's a drop-eared breed and he swam quite a bit through the summer. There's just no need for it anymore. smile
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 10:13am PST 
Baloo, the stuff is exactly like human ear wax, it is there to keep the ears moist and to clear out debris. We do have a lot less then we when we were on kibble however.
[notify]
Moira

Is that for me??

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 11:30am PST 
Thank you, Sassy. That was my feeling. This morning the left one has some more discharge. I called the vet's office. The tech said I should just keep an eye on it today as there is no odor and no sign of imflammation. Moira is not bothering it at all. I am to take her in if she shakes her head or scratches at her ear. So far nothing.
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 2:27pm PST 
There's still a teeny tiny bit in his ears, but it's not nearly as dark anymore and it really is such a small amount you wouldn't notice it unless you were specifically looking for it. wink

Just FYI, Baloo had many many many ear infections (some that even developed into angry blisters in his ears shock) and he never shook his head or pawed at his ears at all.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2