GO!

Hair Loss Around Eyes

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Benji

I don't want to- update my pet's- motto!

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 9:29am PST 
My grandmother's dog, Peppy, has hair loss around his eyes. He's been to the vet and they said it's not contagious. Benji and Zelda stayed with him for the weekend a while back and Benji came home with bald rings around his eyes too! Benji's eye are fine now, but we now think what Peppy has might be contagious.

Does anyone know what it could be and what to do about it?
[notify]
Benji

I don't want to- update my pet's- motto!

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 8:13am PST 
Bump...

Does nobody know? frown
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 8:17am PST 
shrug no idea! strange that the vet would tell you it was no problem and then your dog comes home with the same thing...
[notify]

Gunner

I solemnly swear- that I am up to- no good

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 8:29am PST 
Here's what I found...

"First of all, is your dog itching around his face where there is hair loss? Demodectic mange, also called "demodicosis" is a parasitic infestation of the skin. This form of mange is not transmitted to people or other dogs. Common symptoms include hair loss and itching and inflammation on the face. The mites prefer to live on areas of the skin that have less hair. As the infection worsens it can spread over the entire body.
An adult dog usually does not get deodicosis unless it has an underlying problem with its immune system. Your veterinarian should be consulted regarding a diagnosis and treatment for this.

Aside from deodicosis, there are many diseases and conditions which can cause a dog to lose hair, ranging from autoimmune disorders, hereditary, Cushing's disease (hyperadrenocorticism),allergic reactions, and Seborrhea.

The best advice I can offer is to take your dog to the vet, since it's impossible to self-diagnosis this. Your dog may need treatment."
[notify]
Mollie Jo- CGC

*LICK* *LICK*- *LICK* *LICK*

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 8:29am PST 
Mange could possibly be the cause....may want to have the vet do a skin test.
[notify]