GO!

OTC arthritis/joint medicine

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Lacey

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 11:04am PST 
Lacey's about 6 now and arthritis seems to be setting in. She had hip problems even as a puppy, but with age her problems are worsening and she's not as mobile as she used to be and when she's overly mobile she feels it the next day.

I would like to try an OTC medicine for her joints to loosen her up and ease some of the discomfort she seems to be having. Any suggestions as to what I can try that will be safe? Someone mentioned Tylenol Arthritis to me... Is that safe for dogs?

Thanks so much for any suggestions.
[notify]
Jenna

Spay or neuter!!

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 11:10am PST 
I always thought Tylenol was toxic to dogs. But maybe I'm wrong. I'd check with my vet before I gave it, that's for sure.

Jenna takes Synovi G 3 and does wonderful on it. That's a suppliment you can order without a prescription. I'd also suggest a visit to the vet so you can possibly get her a pain reliever. Jenna gets a shot of Adequan once a month. She is very mobile and flexible for her age. She'd be almost crippled without all it.

Be careful about giving your dog OTC people meds without your vets' say so.

Good luck - feel better.
[notify]
Little Girl

Barked: Thu Oct 16, '08 11:52am PST 
I use horse liniment on my dogs. Its for arthritis, sprains, sore muscles. I use it on myself when my muscles are sore and it works. My 87 year old dad uses it 2x a day on his knees for arthritis and says since he's been using it, he feels better.
[notify]

Lacey

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 12:09pm PST 
Thanks Jenna and Little Girl. I'm curious, what kind of horse linament do you use?
[notify]
Moose - CGC, TD

I got a Whoosh- top! Let's go- for a ride

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 2:42pm PST 
Lucy, have you thought about using Glucosamine/Chondroitin?
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 5:23pm PST 
I used to get glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM in Tripleflex. That is human stuff from Costco. Now I get those shots from the vet, they work really well. It wasn't my Mom's imagination either, I ran faster and jumped better in agility.
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 9:32pm PST 
Tylenol is poisonous to dogs!!!!! eek Dolly and Toby take the glucosamine joint supplemnt made by Pet Naturals of Vermont Hip & Joint from www.onlynaturalpet.com. Its a lot cheaper than Cosequin and is excellent for joint support!!

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Pet-Naturals-of- Vermont-Hip-Joint/176001.aspx
[notify]