GO!

Please pray, my dog ate a COOKED beef rib bone when I was gone!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 9:23pm PST 
I WAS having a good day, came home after being gone for about half an hour to find Daddy crunching something but he was finished by the time I got into the house all the way. Then I find out my freaking mother left a cooked (boiled and then baked in the oven) beef rib bone just sitting out on the counter (and he can very well reach the kitchen counter when he stands on his hind legs), right near the front of it! UGH! I'm so infuriated, and incredibly stressed out. I don't know what I'll do if it causes any problems, what I even CAN do, it would be emergency surgery and Care Credit makes you apply first, and naturally none of the vets in this crap county offer any kind of payment plans even in emergencies (in emergencies if you can't pay they just euthanize your dog, no joke), and I doubt I have enough money even in the emergency account to pay for a stomach pump or major stomach surgery. God, I don't know why life has to be one big battle...
[notify]
Cherokee- Forever- Loved Cherry

Our Precious- Angel Cherry

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 9:33pm PST 
Deep breath!!

It is a good possibility nothing will happen, maybe a belly upset. You could then do some chicken and rice.

Cherry ate bones, she managed to chomp them well and never had a problem with them. It was amazing how she could manage to find them at times!!!

Just watch that he isn't straining to poop in the next few days and his eating and drinking remain normal.
[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 9:39pm PST 
Thank you, I'm crying so hard, he's like a son to me and even though I would definately go in debt for him if needed, I'm just worried it could be bad and I couldn't pay everything up front and the vet would just basically say "Not enough money? Well you're screwed then"...whatever happened to the veterinary "code" "First do no harm"? It's not like I'd try to bone out on paying.

He's had raw meaty bones before and he crunches raw chicken and pork rib bones down like nobody's business, but those are raw bones and raw bones like that don't splinter like I've heard cooked bones can. I've always been really dilligent with keeping the dogs out of bones and we've only had two other incidents in both Peg and Daddy's time here (Daddy's been with us 2 years now, Peg about 1o years), and one of the times we got the bone away (the other time Peg ate a cooked chicken drumstick bone but thankfully had no problems).

I'm especially concerned about the poop because he does occassionally get constipation (one reason I'm making a complete switch over to one brand of food in his diet).

Edited by author Mon Oct 6, '08 9:40pm PST

[notify]

Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 9:57pm PST 
There is a 99.999999 chance of nothing happening. I give pork rib bones to my dog all the time as snacks every once in a while and he is perfectly fine! He's even gotten into a load of cooked bones that splinter and nothing happened. The only thing that will probably happen, as someone already said, is a stomach upset. No worries! If you feel the need to, you can bring your dog to the vet or even call them and ask!
[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 9:58pm PST 
He actually has a vet appointment tommorow early afternoon thankfully so I'll talk to his regular vet about it then.
[notify]
Vladimir

Lady Killer

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 10:01pm PST 
Very good news. Bringing him to the vet is probably for the best - good luck!
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 10:02pm PST 
You can soak cotton balls (make sure they're pure cotton) and bread in milk and feed them to him, that will cushion the pointy ends of the bone going through.

Note: if your dog ever eats glass or glass shards or you think they may have, it's crucial to do the cotton ball thing.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 10:12pm PST 
I ate Corning ware shards, does that count as glass??? I was fine, the shard was a very unpleasant surprise to my human one fine morning cleaning up the back yard. It was a couple inches long. I have eaten cooked bones before. The only bone that ever caused any problem at all was the knobby end of a ham bone back when I was a pup. It went through everything but had a little trouble getting out. If he crunched it up good and is used to eating raw bones I bet he will be just fine.
[notify]
Daddy

Barked: Mon Oct 6, '08 10:15pm PST 
Thank you again, and thank you Baloo; I've heard of that trick with glass but didn't know it could work for bones too, I will definately give it a try. And thank God, my mum said she just bought some pure cotton balls!

Edit: I just fed him some cotton balls and balled up bread soaked in milk, should I expect the cotton balls to give him any constipation or runny poo?

Edited by author Mon Oct 6, '08 10:27pm PST

[notify]
Riley Star CGC

I'm A Little- Thief

Barked: Tue Oct 7, '08 3:05am PST 
Long before I knew about the dangers of cooked bones I gave Riley t-bones, chicken wings, rib bones, you name it. Never had an issue until the last time I gave one to him.

He had a tbone and next morning he kept struggling to poop and nothing was coming out, but he was crying. Our old moron vet told me not to worry about it and only come in if I saw blood. shock Well after a half hour of watching him screaming I insisted on coming in. Sure enough a tiny piece of bone was stuck there. Didnt do much damage but he had to be put under to get it out.

Never ever again!!! Learned my lesson.

I'd say stick with your vet appt just to be sure everything is passing normally. He should be fine. Let us know! hug
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4