GO!

jelly like stool?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Zoe

Dude, where's my- bone?

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 2:27pm PST 
Zoe just did her daily poop and it came out like a jelly type texture. It was a clear/orangy color.. can anyone help identify what this could be??

I can't really afford a expensive vet bill right now... she's still eating and drinking water which is good.

Last time she had diarhea her vet told me not to feed her for 24 hours then after 24 hours past, give her chicken & rice broth. Should I do this?

Any of you had this problem before?
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 3:00pm PST 
Something has irritated her stomach. The mucous is a protective layer put down by the body to protect the lining. Feed her the chicken & rice for a few days, but if this continues, she must see her vet. Or the minute she can't drink, she must see her vet. Dogs' bodies, like ours, want to heal themselves. Give it a bit of time to do so, but not too long.
[notify]
Zoe

Dude, where's my- bone?

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 3:03pm PST 
Thanks Lily smile
I'll try the broth and chicken maybe later tonight.
[notify]

Blackie

I love you & you- & you & you too- & you

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 3:15pm PST 
I use to have that a lot. Ummmm ... rice and/or chicken and rice always helped alot.

Hope you feel better hug
[notify]
Zoe

Dude, where's my- bone?

Barked: Thu Sep 25, '08 3:29pm PST 
Thanks so much blackie big grin
[notify]
Laila

A lesson in- unconditionnal- love

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 8:28am PST 
Laila used to get "jelly" in her stool, it was mucus. It happens when the lining of the gut is irritated/inflamed. I got rid of corn in her kibble, and of all treats containing corn and wheat, and now she doesn't get the problem anymore.

She always tolerated rice very well, but I am switching to grain free because I believe in it! PLus Laila is very active and has a high metabolism, so grain free is even more appropriate for her as far as I understand.

So perhaps try to avoid corn, and wheat as well. Watch for the ingredients in her kibble, and don't forget the treats and other snacks you give her.
[notify]
Callie

Callie- Born to love

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 11:31am PST 
Have you changed food recently? Callie has this issue off and on for awhile including diarrhea. It had been going off and on for awhile. Eventually we identified it to a specific brand of Nature's Variety food. As previously mentioned, there are also other natural causes such as irritation and some types of bacterial infection. If your dogs condition does not improve, the Vet can your dog Flagyl which helps clear up the jelly like condition.
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 11:43am PST 
Callie, which Nature's Variety? Lily had IBS and I sure don't want it reoccurring. I have the Instinct Chicken and Prairie Venison and Millet, but haven't opened the venison yet. The chicken was served once with no problem.

Zoe, how are you doing today? Keep us posted.
[notify]

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 11:43am PST 
These are some helpful tips! My dog is doing through the same problem and I changed her food to perinea one. The main ingredient in it is beef.
[notify]
Wyatt

RATS, give me- RATS!

Barked: Sun Mar 25, '12 2:13pm PST 
You might giver some canned pumpkin. PURE pumpkin, not the pumpkin mix. If after a couple of days she is not better you need to take her to the vet or if she does not eat or drink. A small dog can get dehydrated quickly so keep a close eye on her hydration.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2