GO!

Neutering - recovery time?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sparky

Sparks Will Fly!

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 1:33am PST 
Sparky's goingt o be neutered on friday - just wondering what the average recovery time is, my last dog was neutered about 14 years ago & I can't remember!
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 2:40am PST 
Baloo was a little woozy the day of after we picked him up, and then by the next day acted like nothing had happened. confused It was HARD keeping him quiet for a whole week!
[notify]
♫Bandit

I'm nobody's- pet!

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 5:30am PST 
Bandit recovered great, the night after his neutering was a doozy... his pain medicine made him sick and worse off(rimadyl). so i took him off of it, and it seemed like nothing ever happened, bandit was running around, jumping up.. etc.
The only thing i had a problem with was keeping him still.
so your dog should be just fine within 2 days.
[notify]

Cody

I love to learn- new tricks :)

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 2:33pm PST 
Cody was neutered a few weeks ago. He was tired that night and a little bit the next day. We kept the collar on him for 6 days, we felt it was best to keep him from licking his stitches. You're little guy will do fine. I think it was harder on me than it was for Cody. LOL

Keep us updated on how he does.

Hugs!! hug
[notify]
Mr.- Knightley

Can I chew on- that?

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 3:18pm PST 
Mr. Knightley was neutered the day before I picked him up. He seemed active then, but whoa I was wrong. They really do need to watch the crazy running and jumping. And I highly recommend an e-collar. Your guy may not bother it at all, but Mr. K did and opened up his stitches = twice as long recovery and more meds. Also, if you're a newbe (to neutering) like me...make sure the e-collor comes up past the end of their nose, not just fit around their neck. red face
[notify]
Mr.- Knightley

Can I chew on- that?

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 3:18pm PST 
Mr. Knightley was neutered the day before I picked him up. He seemed active then, but whoa I was wrong. They really do need to watch the crazy running and jumping. And I highly recommend an e-collar. Your guy may not bother it at all, but Mr. K did and opened up his stitches = twice as long recovery and more meds. Also, if you're a newbe (to neutering) like me...make sure the e-collor comes up past the end of their nose, not just fit around their neck. red face
[notify]
Cody

I'll Chase it!

Barked: Tue Sep 23, '08 10:55pm PST 
Cody was neutered a few weeks ago, we picked him up the next day and the vet said to “keep him quiet”. Ya right, as soon as he got home he wanted to wrestle and run around with his sister Aussie all while wearing his e-collar. He broke 2 of them and got to his stitches. Back to the Vets and they said to give him his pain medicine, not for the pain but to calm him down so he will leave the incisions alone.
Like the first Vet said, it will be a long 2 weeks, and it was. I think most dogs bounce back in a hurry.
[notify]
Sparky

Sparks Will Fly!

Barked: Wed Sep 24, '08 1:16am PST 
Thanks guys, I'm sure it's me worrying more than I need to as usual!!!

Will keep you all informed!
[notify]
Sparky

Sparks Will Fly!

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 11:01am PST 
Sparky had his op today. He's been home 2 hours now & seems fine, a bit sleepy - but he didn't sleep all day after he came round from the op! He has 3 little stitches which he's not bothered with ....... yet! So Ive taken his buster collar off for a little while so he'll relax & have a proper sleep - obviuosly he's being supervised while the collar s off!
[notify]
Alexander- the Great- (Alex)

I live to pester- ClaraSue

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 2:50pm PST 
Glad to hear Sparky is doing well. Alex had his neutering just this last Monday and gets his stitches taken out in two days! applause He was a little sick and vomited about 4 times due to the anesthesia the first day but he's been back to normal since the day after surgery.

Edited by author Fri Sep 26, '08 2:51pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2