GO!

Buddy ate butter

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:24pm PST 
I am fairly certain that my toy poodle ate up to a whole stick butter. I don't know for sure how much he ate because I wasn't home. He weighs 8lbs. He's not feeling very well but is alert(I'd say). Is there anything I should do for him?
[notify]
Willy Moo

Pimpin ain't- easy

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:31pm PST 
im not 100% sure but i think it will just give him a belly ache and probably diarrhea. i would say if it doesnt pass (literally and figuratively) in the next day or if he continues to have diarrhea a vet visit would be in order but i think he will be fine.

is there a doggie equivalent to soup and crackers for upset bellies?
[notify]
Chim Chim

I luff to luff.

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:35pm PST 
I just caught my guy eating a tube of lipstick that someone left at work.

he has a red lip and looks like he quite enjoyed himself.laugh out loud
[notify]

Buddy

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:40pm PST 
I should have added that he and Jack (who looks as though he feels just fine) threw up..... a lot, everywhere! It's been quite an interesting experience. We fed them rice and a small amount of food for dinner. I think I'll call the vet in the morning to see what they say, but I agree with you both...I think we'll just watch him throughout the night.

I'd love to hear if anyone knows of something other than white rice to sooth his stomach.

Thanks!!!
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:42pm PST 
Chim Chim was just trying to impress the girls.... I hope he's ok. smile
[notify]
Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Fly free, Beau.- Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:47pm PST 
I was just going to come on and say to expect a lot of vomiting and diarrhea, especially in a smaller dog. Was there any butter in the vomit? It's probably best that he gets it out of his system. In extreme cases it can cause pancreatitis. Do you have an ER vet in your area? You might want to at least just call them up and see what they recommend (i.e. inducing vomiting if the butter still hasn't been brought up, bringing in for SQ fluids if the vomiting is a lot, or just monitoring, etc.).

My dog ate almost an entire huge tub of "I Can't Believe it's Not Butter". He vomited most of it up that evening and had a little diarrhea the next day. He was fine afterwards, and Buddy should most likely be ok. But if he's vomiting a lot, seems painful in the abdomen, or is really lethargic, I'd take him in rather than letting it go too far.
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 6:52pm PST 
I think he's gotten rid of most, if not all of the butter, but I think he's still got a stomach ache(isn't feeling well).

We have an ER vet about 45 mins away. He's moving around and just seems like he's got a tummy ache. It's also his bedtime, which may account for some of his moping around. We had to wash all of the towels in their crates, so he has to wait to go to bed. smile
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 7:12pm PST 
Attacks of acute pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) are pretty common after eating an extremely high fat meal like that. I would keep a really close eye on him, as an attack can be life threatening. frown

Look for this:
"Common symptoms of the acute form of pancreatitis in dogs include a very painful abdomen, abdominal distention, lack of appetite, depression, dehydration, a 'hunched up' posture, vomiting, diarrhea and yellow, greasy stool. Fever often accompanies these symptoms."

From this site:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1580&articl eid=335
[notify]
Buddy

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 7:19pm PST 
Thank you very much for the information. I sincerely appreciate your help in Buddy's(and my...goodness this will give me an ulcer) time of need.
[notify]
Kaiser - My sweet boy- is gone

The Mister

Barked: Mon Sep 22, '08 11:25pm PST 
Kaiser did that before too!! naughty I took a pound of butter out to thaw and thought I put it far back enough on the counter. I went to have a bath and when I came out.. I found the empty wrapper on his bed!!! silenced

Needless to say, it was a long night and my washing machine has never seen so much action!

The next morning, I was going to the vets anyway with my cat Rascal so I told the vet about it. He shook his head and said "Sounds like someone else in your house should be named Rascal" laugh out loud He just told me boiled hamburger, rice and water for a few days and he should be ok. He said if it didn't clear up in a couple days to bring him in, but Kaiser was fine after a day. way to go

Yeah these dogs.. they'll be the death of us all! big laughbig laughbig laughbig laugh

Edited by author Mon Sep 22, '08 11:27pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2