GO!

Yeast infection vs. Ear Mites

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Mandy Plata

Build-A-Muppet

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 10:32am PST 
How do you know if it is ear mites or a yeast infection in the ear? What are the differences?
[notify]
Hammer, CGC

Southern- Gentleman

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 10:46am PST 
I am so glad you asked that because I have been wondering the same thing!
[notify]
Diego

Sunny D, Diggs,- Monsieur,- Froggy, DD

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 11:45am PST 
Hey. Ear mites are a type of tiny parasite. Yeast, or Malassezia Dermatitis, is a type of yeast organism. Ear mites will cause a different looking rash on your dog's ear. I got this info on www.doggedhealth.com Go to the site and check it out. Type in ear mites and you will learn all about it
[notify]

Kenyon,- Angel In- Residence

Cat poop is a- delicacy

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 12:00pm PST 
Do the sniff test. Most times you can smell an icky yeast infection. way to go
[notify]
Mandy Plata

Build-A-Muppet

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 12:02pm PST 
Thanks everyone! I went to the website and did a sniff test...best I can guess is that it's a yeast infection in her ears. I noticed it about a day or two after I had given her some eggs. She started scratching alot and shaking her head. Is it possibl that she was allergic?thinking
[notify]
Barley

Momma's Big Baby

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 12:20pm PST 
Another good way to tell...take a cotton ball and soak it in olive oil, rub the cotton ball in the interior of the affected ear. Take a peek at the cotton ball...if it's mostly brown smelly mushy matter, you've got a yeast infection, if you view brown mush accompanied by black specks, you've got mites.
The treatment for each affliction is the same, but you can prevent yeast infections.
Adopt a weekly ear cleaning into your grooming schedule is recommended. Don't be conned into buying the ear cleaner at your vets office, simple organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar will do the trick. Same deal...soak a cotton ball in the APCV and clean the ear out...
You'll definitely notice a difference.
[notify]
Hammer, CGC

Southern- Gentleman

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 1:11pm PST 
I knew what the different causes were just didn't know how to tell by looking. But Hammer's ears do have a smell to them.

Thanks everyone!
[notify]
Shandi *Oct- 2006 - Aug 2012*

Goofball

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 1:32pm PST 
When we adopted Shandi from the shelter she had very bad ear mites, the vet said she had had them for at least 3 months. When Shandi had them her ears smelt very bad and the skin on the inside of the ear (not in the actualy ear) was very red and swollen. She also had alot more wax than she should have and she started getting sticky liquid and puss in her ears.
[notify]
Kenyon,- Angel In- Residence

Cat poop is a- delicacy

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 5:29pm PST 
Mandy, yes she could be allergic. You've got some great advice here. I'd follow the advice and see what a few days can do with the TLC. Keep us posted.

Thanks Barley fur the olive oil tip. It's a new one on us and we always luv to learn! way to go
[notify]
Daddy

Changing one- mind at a time - APBT style

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 5:51pm PST 
Daddy ended up getting a yeast infection (probably because I was giving him added brewers yeast for fleas since I hate using chemical flea products, even the less harsh ones like Frontline); I thought for sure it was ear mites, but he's had three tests run on his ears (the vet took samples, ran them under a microscope and one time even dyed the sample to get a better look) and it was strictly a yeast issue. It was weird because his ears didn't smell and the wax looked like the "coffee grounds" which I always heard meant ear mites, but like I said, they looked three times and it was just a really bad yeast build up.
[notify]