GO!

Sezures/ running in sleep

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sampson Duke

Aw- the couch...- Like sleeping on- clouds

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 11:36am PST 
My question is when does it go from running/chasing something in their sleep to actual sezures. I would like some more info if anyone has some.

Thanks.
[notify]
~Sophie~

I also answer to- 'Pretty Girl'

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 11:54am PST 
wave I think the difference is, if you can wake them up fairly easily, it is a dream. If you have trouble waking them or if they continue moving when awake, then it could be a seizure. thinking
[notify]
Barney-R.I.P

R.I.P my gorgous- boy

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 12:38pm PST 
I agree with sophie, I often run and bark in my sleep but that doesn't mean I'm having seizures. Humans often do the same it's called R.E.M (Rapid Eye Movement) anywhere from just eye twitching to whole body movements.
[notify]

Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 3:20pm PST 
In "real life" I am an addiction counselor, and I work with individuals experiencing withdrawal from drugs and alcohol (propensity for seizures from withdrawal of certain substances).

Basically, one of the key tenets is that you cannot seize when you're sleeping. The area of the brain that initiates a seizure is not active at that time. So basically, you're just seeing some really active dreams! big grin
[notify]
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 3:50pm PST 
Actually, you can begin to seize while you are asleep. All of Gio's seizures have begun while he is asleep. Technically, I suppose be may be awoken an instant before the seizure begins, but when it comes down to it, he will be sleeping, awake abruptly and immediately begin to seize. Sure, the state of sleep is not maintained through the seizure, but the seizures begin while asleep.

A pre-ictal symptom of Gio's is leg twitching, his paws will twitch lightly in his sleep and this can continue for a couple of hours prior to the onset of the actual seizure. But as for determining if your dog is merely twitching in his sleep or having a seizure ... you will know. Once you have witnessed a full blown grand mal, there is no question as to which is a sleep twitch and which is a seizure!

Generally, with a seizure (those associated with leg paddling are generally grand mals), the eyes will be open, jaw will clench, labored breathing, and leg paddling as if they were running a marathon, excessive drooling, possibly urination or defecation. Not all seizures take on that appearance. Focal seizures can affect only one area of the brain so there may only be spasms in one area of the body ... usually the face and legs.

I recently put together a FAQ article on canine epilepsy that might be helpful in differentiating what is a seizure or what is not.
Canine Epilepsy: Seizure FAQs
[notify]
Libby

Where's the- kitty?????

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 3:52pm PST 
Don't worry it is quite common in great danes for them to run in their sleep. Attis and Libby have always done it and continue to do so but always wake up easily-I wake them up from time to time just to make sure but have never had an issue. Libby does this weird eye blinking and leg kicking thing while she is dreaming and Attis does a whimpering, barking, growling and leg kicking thing. It's quite comical to see them doing it right next to each other and they end up kicking each other.
snoopy
[notify]
Baloo RN CGN

Dog of all- trades

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 3:54pm PST 
Hmm... must be different for dogs then. And I would imagine an epileptic seizure is different from a withdrawal induced one. wink

Either way, I think more likely than not what you're seeing is just dreams and REM sleep. It's important to try not to wake dogs when they're sleeping like that, it disturbs the sleep cycle, which we all need to be healthy. smile
[notify]
Shadow NPC,- MDM

Ban the Deed - Not the Breed

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 4:20pm PST 
Shadow is very 'active' in his sleep. Whining, growling, little barks here and there and his legs are going like crazy! Once he is sleeping though, he is out like a light and it's very unlikely you're going to wake him. This is whether or not he is dreaming. Oh, he snores like a lumberjack too!
[notify]
♥- DarlaMae - ♥

I Am- Iron Nose- !

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 4:31pm PST 
It sounds like active dreaming.smile Darlas first seizure was middle of the night and she was sleeping at onset,similar to Gio. It was different than her active dreaming ,the bed was moving. frownNeedless to say I do watch more closely when she dreams, witnessing any type of seizure will make one an even more attentive Mom. confused

As other pups stated Dogs have REM sleep and many are quite active.cheer
Thanks for the added info Gio!smile You are a Rock to us " Shakers" and helpful to everypup way to go Sweet Dreams All!cloud 9
[notify]
Buzz

Determination- shall conquer

Barked: Wed Sep 17, '08 4:25am PST 
I have dreams too and make little barking sounds and move a bit . My seizures always come when I am sleeping too and they look a lot different than running in your sleep. All the "shakers" have given very good advice so I don't have much to add.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2