GO!

What to do and what medicine to give for fever?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

Sam

I Love My Mom- So Much!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 2:04am PST 
Hi, I just want to know what are the right things to do and what medicine you give if your babies have fever?

I brought Sam to a vet before when he had a fever and the doctor said to give him human medicine (paracetamol).

I just dont think that human medicine is safe for them or am i wrong with that?

Its kinda hard here in Philippines to look for dog medicines (or any stuff) store.

thanks guys!!!
take care all!!!

Edited by author Sat Sep 13, '08 2:06am PST

[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 3:10am PST 
Hello Sam, mum has often heard of dogsters using Paracetamol, but she is not too keen as dogs (cats are more susceptable) can get paracetamol poisening. This is because the drug builds up in their kidneys and they cannot get rid of it. It can be treated if put on a drip but that is only if caught early. If you have a fever there will be a reason such as infection or desease so make sure to drink lots and eat good light meals, he can be sponged off with tepid (just warm) water if he is feverish to help, keep him calm and quiet. other dogsters may disagree and have some good advice using paracetamol, so listen carefully as they may have more help. Hope you feel better soondog
[notify]
quigley

wigley- quigley,the- quigster

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 3:19am PST 
Just a note, i would give him aspirin if you have to give anything, but not the adult ones, try to find childrens or buffered aspirin.dog
[notify]

Sam

I Love My Mom- So Much!!!

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 7:32pm PST 
thanks quigly for the reply and advice. mom was just not sure and secured by the advice of the doctor about giving paracetamol to me.she heard things like that that it will have bad side effects esp to my kidney. thanks for the help. she'll keep that in mind.

take care quigly!!!
[notify]
Lily

Whose bed?? Why- would YOU think- that?

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 8:04pm PST 
I don't know what para--- is, but it sounds like a Tylenol relative. That is a no-no for dogs. Aspirin is Ok temporarily. Sponge the underside of the dog with cool water - the tummy, armpits (legpits??) and the paws in particular. Give him lots to drink even if you have to add a little beef or chicken broth to get him to drink.
[notify]
Ellie CGC

Ellie - more cookies,- please

Barked: Sun Sep 14, '08 2:57pm PST 
Unless the fever is very high, I would leave it untreated. Fever is part of the body's defenses against infection. Raising the body temperature makes it harder for bacteria, viruses, etc. to live. So, if you knock the body temperature back down with drugs, you may actually be prolonging the infection (same is true for humans, or any mammal, really).
[notify]