GO!

New........Puppy ate a dead bird!! Kinda Gross Question!

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Scamp

Scamp ~ From- Lady and the- Tramp II

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 8:22am PST 
Hi I am new here. I will have tons of questions I'm sure reguarding my new puppy. he is about 11 weeks old. He is either a Springer Spaniel or a Border Collie mix with Terrier (vets not sure, he looks like both). I have a question that is pretty gross!! I cannot take my puppy to the vet till tomorrow which is when my husband gets paid so I'm just curious in the meantime. Here is just a tiny background of my adopted puppy. This puppy has been nothing but sick since I got him. He's only 11 weeks old and I have invested lots of money in him already from him having Kennel cough that won't go away. He's had it for over a month now and just finished his 2 round of antibiotic Anyways that's not what I'm asking. Please if this has happened to you puppy, help. My puppy has not has all his shots. He has had 3 rounds of shots and has been dewormed. He only has 1 more round to go then he can start heartguard and all that stuff but I have to wait since he just got his 3rd set. On Monday while on a leash we were walking outside and I turned around and he had a DEAD BIRD in his mouth. He would not for anything give me that bird. He ended up swallowing it whole, big feathers and all. Soooo gross. Well he was fine until last night he throw up a little. Kinda brown graining looking and watery. I called the vet and she said maybe blockage from the bird. She said watch him and bring him in Friday. Well this morning I took him out to go potty and in his stool was an excessive amount of white mucus by itself and covering his stool. The I could see a very long string of mucus (at least thats what I think it was) halfway out. He could not get it out so it eventually went back in. I know. sorry very gross. I don't know what to think about all this. My husband says yestrday he saw bones and the birds beak in his stool. So I know he is passing some of it but this morning was just gross. I'm just scared because he hasn't had all his shots and he's so little and the the bird could've had been carrying something. Is this normally after a puppy eating a bird. Everyone thinks I'm crazy and not to worry about it. What do you think. This was just an overly amount of mucus! BTW I know this is EXTRA gross but I cannot bring myself to saving poo so I took pics. If anyone could please please help me figure out whats going on. I will not take my puppy out of his cage till I can take him to the vet. I have a 4 year old and I'm scared of the whipworms and stuff like that. Thanks! blue dog
[notify]
Bo

Mr. Cuddly- wuddly bear..

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 8:39am PST 
Our dog Bo has eaten a lot of weird stuff. Mostly insects, lizards, A gardesn snake once. Annie ate a squirrel before ( I know I taught her better, I think she watches our cat too much). They are up to date on all their shots, but I still freaked out. Most of the squirrel was intact, but some was eaten ( Gross I know). I called the vet, he said check her stool and watch her. I brought her in the next day, with the poop sample. The things we do for our dogs. Anyway she was fine, everything passed naturally red face My dogs still eat weird stuff and sometimes I give them canned pumkin to help pass it through. I am by no means an expert and there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, I'm sure someone has better advice. I just know how it is to worry about your puppy. Congratulations on your puppy she is so cute...
[notify]
Scamp

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 9:16am PST 
Thank yo so much for the reply!! Yes, dogs do eat some gross stuff!! I'm gonna have to look up canned pumpkin! He just pottied a bit ago on my carpet floor (bad puppy) but thank goddness it was a nomal poopy! He seems fine, plays like a puppy! Just like yucky stuff!! Thanks so much!!
[notify]

Teddy

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 9:56am PST 
I think if his stools are back to normal, he is probably okay. When Kaia was about 6 months old she ate a mouse and I freaked out - but she was fine.
[notify]
Scamp

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 10:32am PST 
Hi! Thanks for your reply! He sure is acting fine, so I think he'll be OK!! I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy! I know thats gotta be hard! Pets are family!! If you ever need to talk I'm here!!
[notify]
♥ Angel Kendra ♥

My heart belongs- to my Daddy

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 10:39am PST 
I've eaten dead squirrels, mice, birds...you name it! laugh out loud
I'm much faster than my Mom, and I have quite a nose for gross stuff!

Just like everyone else said, it your stool is fine and you are not throwing up, I wouldn't be too concerned. hug

A lot of our foster dogs have had horrible kennel cough. I know how frustrating that can be. hug
[notify]
Scamp

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 10:45am PST 
Hi! WOW! That's a lot of animals!! Goodness!! He seems fine now!!

Yes his Kennel Cough is SLOWLY going away!! I just wish it would totally go away then I'll know he's happy and healthy!! Thanks so much for your reply!!! wave
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 10:45am PST 
I've fed Vance whole, feather-on poultry for dinner. Dogs are built to process whole, raw carcasses. However, as you have seen, if their system isn't used to doing it, you'll end up with some pretty gross side effects.

Vaccine-wise, there is no risk from eating a dead bird. There is some risk of bacteria overgrowth in the stomach and intestines, especially if the bird had been dead for a while. That should show up pretty quickly if it's going to. Within 2 or 3 days. At this point, my main concern would be internal parasites.

Birds aside, if your pup is sick, you need to be very careful vaccinating. The body needs a healthy immune system to deal with the vaccine. I never vaccinate a sick adult dog. Since you have a puppy, you should speak to a vet about the pros and cons of holding off on vital vaccines. If your vet dismisses your concerns, I recommend finding a new one. If you were planning on giving any of the non-core vaccines, like Lyme, I would absolutely wait until the cough is cleared up.
[notify]
Catori

Momma's little- love bug!

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 10:48am PST 
Ohhhh, that made my tummy hurt just thinking about it. None of my pups have eaten anything too crazy (just frogs and lizards). I hope you feel better. You sure are a special pup! I even left you a gift.red face
[notify]
♥ Angel Kendra ♥

My heart belongs- to my Daddy

Barked: Thu Sep 11, '08 10:52am PST 
I sent you a Pmail. Mom fosters dogs and has some great tips on speeding up the recovery from kennel cough. way to go
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3