GO!

Why so many poodle hydrids?

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  
Pita

I really need- advice...

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 9:01am PST 
I was wondering why there are so many poodle hybrids out there. (labradoodle, schnoodle, etc etc).

is there a reason why they are so popular and since they are not officially recognised as a breed, where are they "produced"?

I am just curious, is it because of the low shedding thing? But why add poodle to so many breeds when there are already many light to no shedding breeds that exist?

And why not just get a purebred poodle from a good breeder?

and are there not health problems that come with these hybrids since the poodle is already known to have a tendence to many health problems? ) "A long-lived breed, Poodles are, nevertheless, subject to many genetic diseases."
(source: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/standardpoodle.htm)

thanks for the info

Edited by author Sat Aug 30, '08 9:07am PST

[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

I may look- little, but I'm- ALL dog!

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 9:41am PST 
Well, actually, the goldendoodle and labradoodle were bred to be seeing eye dogs and other service dogs for people alergic to dog fur. Still doesn't make sense to me, personally- because if the people breeding them were REALLY interested in making them a breed, they'd be trying to get them out there and recognized.

Now, the yorkie poo, shi poo, etc. Are just fads. Like the teacup craze. People (for some odd reason) think they're adorable. So, they buy them. Sadly, because of this, it results in A LOT of poodle X's being dropped off at shelters and surrendered at rescues. That's why if I ever meet anyone that wants one of these poodle X's, I tell them "Check your local shelter. Want a link to a poodle rescue? There is almost always some kind of poodle mix there."

On a side note, cockapoos have been breed for YEARS and still no recognition. They were being bred when my mom was my age. And, my mom is well into her fourties now. wink

Also, it supposedly decreases the health issues in poodles.

shrug

I don't know why or how. But, they breed them supposedly for people who want poodles but don't wanna deal with the health problems. Makes you wonder what they do with the puppies born with health problems? I say, if you don't wanna put up with what a poodle may come with, maybe a poodle isn't for you.

thinking
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 9:42am PST 
It is the low shedding thing.
Poodles might have their problems as a pure breed. But there is such thing as hybrid vigor.

here is a link to what it is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis

Technically that would be true to any mix but people like consistency. They want to know what their dog will look like, and a poodle can be added to a breed with minimal changes to the look of the breed.

Personally, I myself could find more interesting crosses to breed...
But poodles are known for their coat and their intelligence so they breed them. =)
[notify]

Sandy Baby- ♥

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 9:45am PST 
Actually, it isn't just poodles being "X'd and sold at high prices".

There's also puggles, bull boxers, pomchis, the list goes on. But, the oodles and poos are more popular atm because, like Dantes said, of the low shedding. smile
[notify]
Lucy

Angel Puppy

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 11:04am PST 
The idea is to get a shedding dogs traits in a dog that doesn't shed.
But it's done by people who don't really understand because, if they did, there would be no schnoodle (ahem...kerry blues...cough).
Now, I do think that soft, curly coated breeds are absolutely adorable and have owned poodle crosses (though prior to the trend and no high price). I also understand that crosses don't necessarily live up to all the hype that they are given.
Some do shed
Some are less healthy
Some don't have better temperments
Etc.
It's best to REALLY research and find a breed of dog that truly fits you. It might just be harder to find.
[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 11:17am PST 
I find that where I live they don't sell them even closely to what pure breeds cost. In fact a lot of people buy them because they cant afford a pure breed..

Oh And the shelters here have none of the crosses..
check it out: http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/adopt/petharbor_dogs.asp
[notify]
Sandy Baby- ♥

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 11:22am PST 
Here, people sell them for $500-$1,000. It's sad really.

And, here, I can always find at least one Poodle X in the shelters. Maybe it just depends on area.

shrug

EDIT: This one has a few:
http://www.carolinapoodlerescue.org/

On the first page of their petfinder page, I saw two poodle/bichons.
That's one I see in the papers all the time being sold as bichon poos. I think I seen it sold as boodles before. thinking

I'm also seeing Cockapoos, labradoodles, goldendoodles, etc.

I think it is just area.

shrug

Edited by author Sat Aug 30, '08 11:29am PST

[notify]
Dantes

I have my own- reasons.

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 11:24am PST 
Just because the breed fits you, doesn't mean that you'll be getting what you're paying for. There are people that get payed to pretend to be a responsible breeder, with all the tests done and available for you to look at, but the puppies in reality come from puppy mills.
[notify]
Trix~Lady Chaos

Unable to- respond...

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 11:35am PST 
It's strange that people assume that if you bred a low shedding dog and a high shedding dog (golden retriever for example)-the outcome will be a low shedder...shrug..I could never figure out the logic on that one-as it would make the most sense that the dog would be a 50-50 gamble as to how much it would shed.

As far as not getting a poodle from a breeder, many people assume that poodles are frou frou (sp?) dogs. Say "poodle" and most people think of dogs in sculptured hair cuts. Which turns many people off to the poodle breed.

What's sad is people will purchase the doodles and don't take into consideration how much grooming is involved. I have even read accounts of people who were told by their breeders that they require low maintenance grooming shock.

Edited by moderator Mon Sep 8, '08 3:01pm PST

Edited by forums moderator
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Sat Aug 30, '08 11:42am PST 
Because it is WAY easier to make cutesy names that end in "oodle" than it is with other breed names.
  (Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8