GO!

Question about over the counter worming medication

This forum is for dog lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your dog.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:09pm PST 
I saw worms in Sushis stool today, I think either hookworms or tapeworms. It was kind of small/short and white and still moving, it looked a little flat too.

Will an over the counter med work for this? Which ones should I stay away from? Do they treat all kinds of worms or are they made for certain types?

or should I just take him to the vet and spend 3 times more?
[notify]
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:12pm PST 
Oh I'm bringing home a 11 week old puppy in two weeks so I need them gone by then!

Is there a preventative for worms too?

and will they be in my yard or can I just pick up the poop and be done with them?
[notify]
Dollybaby

Warning!! Dolly- at work!!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:15pm PST 
Hook worm are not visable what you got i think is a round worm. I use Nenex i get at the feed store. But i think it only takes care of round worm and two others. Not hookworm. Dogs with hook worm will loose weight and stop eating and have blood in stools with diarea. To find out if it is them you got to see a vet.
[notify]

Oni~Prince of Thieves

Unable to- respond...

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:19pm PST 
If cost is an issue, you might want to see if your local humane society or spca offers a public wellness clinic. If they do, they should be able to test Sushi to see what kind of worms he has and administer the correct medication for much lower than the average vet cost.
[notify]
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:26pm PST 
I thought hookworms werent visable, he had them once before when I first got him and we cleared them up and did another test and he had lost them. He's been around alot of dogs since though, I haven't noticed them until today though.

cost usually isn't an issue for me when it comes to my dogs health, but I just bought a new car, and i am getting my new pup in a couple weeks, I'm getting a huge raise in a couple months (in training to be a dog groomer) and have money reserved for bills and things, but anything extra is hard to do right now.

So it probably is roundorm or tapeworm. I will have to look more closely next time, I noticed it while cleaning up after him at the dog park, I didn't want to look crazy staring at my dogs poop for too long bol.

Are the cheaper medications dangerous to give? Like the ones you find at walmart or petsmart? Sushi is very healthy and hasn't had a reaction to anything, but I don't want to take a chance.
[notify]
Grace

Grizzy Grace. <3

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:32pm PST 
Over the counter dewormers are very harsh on a dogs's system! I would NOT reccomend an over the counter wormer!

What you describe sounds like tapeworm segments. (You can google an image to see if it looks right to you.) Like another poster said, you probably wouldn't be able to see hookworms. Their eggs are visable under a microscope during a fecal exam, but that's about it.

Tapeworm happens when your dog ingests an infected flea. A dog cannot catch it from another dog, or even from it's stool. It HAS to be an infected flea that they ingest. So, if the fleas are under control, you shouldn't have to worry about the new dog.

Your vet can get you something (a one time tablet, or injection) to get rid of the buggers. (A Droncit or Cestoved product.) Again, as long as the fleas are under control or he doesn't ingest an infected one again, they should be gone after this one time deal.

It would be a good idea to take one of the segments and put it in a plastic baggy to take to show to your vet. It also wouldn't be a bad idea to take in a stool sample at the same time to be tested to make sure there's nothing else in there. The reason I say bring the segment too is because tapeworm (eggs) are difficult, and sometimes impossible, to see on a fecal flotation because their eggs are more dense and don't float well.

Edited by author Sat Aug 23, '08 2:35pm PST

[notify]
Sushi

May be a fox

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:38pm PST 
He doesn't have fleas, and the most I've ever seen on him was one or two and they died off.

He does have loose stools too

What came out looked a little bigger than the segments I've seen in pictures, also they don't show on his butt or fur like I've seen, they only came out when he pooped. It wiggled around too, gross!

I think I may just take him to the vet frown

Edited by author Sat Aug 23, '08 2:41pm PST

[notify]
Precious

Rub my belly!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:48pm PST 
I saw the same thing in Precious one time... were they about the size of a grain of rice? If so, then it is probably tapeworms. Their aren't any over the counter meds (that I know of) that will treat tapeworms, so I would definately take him to the vet! It is better safe than sorry, and the vet can tell you for sure which type of worms he has, and get him treated quicker! With tapeworms their is actually a shot they can give (what we got for Precious) and it is much easier (a little more expensive). Good luck!
[notify]
Jenna

We Are The- Champions!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:54pm PST 
Round worms look like spagetti. Jenna had whipworm once that had like a flat section to it. Tapeworm looks like rice, this didn't look like rice and she's never had fleas, (well never to amount to anything). she got it eating dirt at the dog park.

I use interceptor for her heartworm med, cause it takes care of whip, hook, and round worms.
[notify]
Dollybaby

Warning!! Dolly- at work!!

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '08 2:55pm PST 
I just noticed my finger slipped that is Nemex or Nemex ll. Wallys sells a simular product by a different name it has a collie on the box.

Almost all worms can cause diarea but if its really foul smelling it could be hookworm. Then it is best to visit a vet!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2